starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuffed - Trying to eat enough

Default Stuffed - Trying to eat enough

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings, I'm a 40 year old male, beginning strength trainer. ~160lbs, 6'1" - always skinny, "hard-gainer" type. With a side of pussy. I've tried the SS NLP a couple of times in the past, giving it up after a few months or so. Sniffly nose. A bit chilly outside. Easy to come up with reasons not to exercise today.

Anyway, I'm back on it, making solid progress for the last few months, now up to squatting 167.5lbs today. Yes, I know that's weak, and slow progress by NLP standards. I'm moving up 2.5lbs per workout, trying to focus more on building a good habit rather than going up more quickly.

Anyway Anyway, I'm also trying to eat enough to gain weight. I've been drinking as much whole cows milk as I can through the day, as much as maybe 3/4 of a gallon in addition to regular meals. But I always feel STUFFED to the point of discomfort and lethargy. I want to eat more and drink more milk, but it's just very difficult for me to do so. Example: I'll eat a cup (raw) of oatmeal (600kc), drink a bottle of Soylent (400kc) and a quart of milk (700kc) all before 10am. I'll think I'm on track, but by lunch time I still feel not hungry and it's all I can do to get in a little food and another quart of milk, after which I can barely move. By dinner I can barely look at food. I think I'm averaging only ~3000kc per day or so.

Since attempting the GOMAD diet starting 2 weeks ago, I've gained about 5lbs. Noticeable! But still seems like I should be able to do better.

Ideas? Am I on track? Should I change my expectations?

Thanks so much for all the wisdom I've found on this forum.

Other than the 2.5 lb jumps you are doing quite well. 5 lb in two weeks is fine, that's 10 lb in one month. Just keep that up until you get to at least 190 lb. 200 lb would be better but we gotta start somewhere. How fast are you progressing your deadlift right now?

Robert, thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

I've been moving up relatively slowly on my deadlift as I'm concerned about pushing it with somewhat poor technique. Perhaps I shouldn't worry about that so much. I started at 135 and moved up in 5lb jumps to 185, which I repeated for a couple of weeks, then moved up to 195 at my last lift and it was comfortable. I'm alternating with power cleans which is currently at 80lb.

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis6890 View Post
    Robert, thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

I've been moving up relatively slowly on my deadlift as I'm concerned about pushing it with somewhat poor technique. Perhaps I shouldn't worry about that so much. I started at 135 and moved up in 5lb jumps to 185, which I repeated for a couple of weeks, then moved up to 195 at my last lift and it was comfortable. I'm alternating with power cleans which is currently at 80lb.
    If you aren't confident in your technique then you need to fix it. Babying it like you are is going to set you up for failure later. The deadlift is to go up quickly when you start. It's not unusual to go up 15-20 lb per workout the first week, then 10 lb per workout thereafter. 5 lb jumps at 135 is absurdly low. I've had 70 year old men go from 135 to 185 in under a month without injury.

Milk might not be the best choice, based on my own personal experience. If it gasses you up, GOMAD might actually get in the way of you eating enough. I think drinking too much messed with my ability to eat to sustain my LP.

It sounds like the milk itself is fine for him, he is just full all of the time.

Yeah, but at 40, I know lactose intolerance generally increases with age. So I figured I'd add I had some milk issues that kept me from eating more and maybe he's running into that.

Were you previously tolerant?

Yes, actually. It eroded over the years for me. I drank a lot of milk in my 20s. Fast forward to an NLP at 35 and using milk in my protein shakes as well as 16 ounces with breakfast was making my midsection into a balloon.

starting strength coach development program
    It's one of those things that if you don't do it continuously in your life you lose that tolerance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast