starting strength gym

Thread: Want to maintain weight and progress

Default Want to maintain weight and progress

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert, thank you for all that you’ve done! I’ve enjoyed listening to you and Rip on the podcast and your papers have been very informative.

I’ve been trying to do the program for almost 2 months now and struggling with progression. My numbers:

Squat 200
    Bench 135
    Press 80
    Deadlift 225

I got some form checks from Mr Andy Baker in his group so I backed off the weight 10% (the deload was my idea not his so maybe it wasn’t a good one) to correct technique then got back on track.

However I failed to progress the deadlift at all last week despite skipping them on Wednesday (I haven’t learned the power clean yet). 3 reps Monday 1 on Friday. Failed bench on Friday (5/4/3) but maybe it was just a bad day. I’ve been progressing deadlifts 10 lbs and everything else 5 lbs.

I want to make sure I’m on the right track for recovery. I’ve gained about 8 lbs since starting the program. I’m 28 years old, 5’ 10”, probably 25% bf, 196 lbs. I lost about 100 lbs before starting the program so I’ve been worried about gaining any more weight. I eat about 2500-2800 kcal a day and aim for 40/30/30 carb/pro/fat. I wanted to maintain my weight but tended to eat more so I didn’t harm recovery.

How does my nutrition look for recovery? I would like to dial it back a little so I don’t gain any more weight but I don’t want to stall. Next week I’m going to try resting more between sets, I’ve been doing 5 minutes but I’m not sure how much more it will help the deadlifts since I’m only resting from warm up.

Thank you very much!

Happy to help. Do you have a video of your most recent deadlift? What do your macros come out to in grams?

This is yesterday’s (Monday’s) work set, 225 lb failure:

YouTube

Here is my last warm up set if you need to see a profile view:

YouTube

I’ve been eating about 190g protein, 280g carbs, 75g fat every day. That’s been a consistent plan for about the last month but there were a couple weekends I experimented with eating more because I thought it might help with recovery. Mostly carbs and fats (300~ kcal worth) with no real plan besides hitting my initial macros.

Ramp your carbs up to 350 g/d

As for the deadlift, you kicked every rep forward and then bailed on the rep that you failed. Keep your chest up, shins back, ass up, and drag it straight up. Then DO NOT STOP PULLING.