starting strength gym

Thread: Golfers elbow

Default Golfers elbow

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Been plagued with golfers elbow for several weeks now. Tried all kinds of stretches and made sure of neutral wrists, but the pain is getting worse-particularly on pull ups. I'm using a neutral grip to prevent flexion rather than pronate/supernated. I feel it on low bar squats when stretching to get under the bar, but can handle that. It's interfering with both presses particular on the first set at lock out.

Is it best to drop pull ups as this seems to give the most pain, or is there anything else I should be doing ? I've looked at every post and video so far and tried all the recommended stretches and wrist angles to try and manage it. I reckon if I carry on at this rate it will get so bad it will begin to seriously wreck training.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Been plagued with golfers elbow for several weeks now. Tried all kinds of stretches and made sure of neutral wrists, but the pain is getting worse-particularly on pull ups. I'm using a neutral grip to prevent flexion rather than pronate/supernated. I feel it on low bar squats when stretching to get under the bar, but can handle that. It's interfering with both presses particular on the first set at lock out.

Is it best to drop pull ups as this seems to give the most pain, or is there anything else I should be doing ? I've looked at every post and video so far and tried all the recommended stretches and wrist angles to try and manage it. I reckon if I carry on at this rate it will get so bad it will begin to seriously wreck training.
    My opinion, from long experience with epicondylitis is that it won't get better if you keep aggravating it. Rest from the movements which cause the aggravation will be needed.

I have found over the years that the following two items helped me a great deal. (I have no association with either but as a paying customer.)

BandIT therapeutic forearm band

IronMind Expand-Your-Hand-Bands

The first item helps manage the discomfort and promote healing.

The second item helps exercise the extensor muscles in our forearms which are often under worked in comparison with our flexors and the resulting imbalance can lead to medial or lateral epicondylitis.

I'm not an MD or other authority...just a guy who has been lifting weights, rock climbing, etc for several decades and who has long experience. I find that the combination of grip work and the exercising the extensors has really helped keep this issue at bay for me the last several years.

Hope this helps.

I bought one of the Theraband Flexbars (the blue one has the highest resistance) and it worked. At first it felt as though the tendon was being ripped from the bone when I did the exercise but it got better. I did the exercise three times/week.

That was three years ago. It hasn't returned.

Bought a green theraband -try that first. Will quit pull ups/chins and do Lat pull downs as the flexible nature of the wire stops any fulcrum on the wrists.

I bought the blue one but could only do 3-4 reps at first. Worked up to 3 sets of 15, 3x/week.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I bought the blue one but could only do 3-4 reps at first. Worked up to 3 sets of 15, 3x/week.
    What caused your golfers elbow ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    What caused your golfers elbow ?
    I think it was my squat grip. I was putting too much stress on my elbows.

I will say that I had golfer's elbow in the same arm (left) 10 years earlier. It was from holding a clipboard in my left hand and writing on it all day long (part of a work project survey). I think once you've had it, you will always be more susceptible to a return.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I think it was my squat grip. I was putting too much stress on my elbows.

I will say that I had golfer's elbow in the same arm (left) 10 years earlier. It was from holding a clipboard in my left hand and writing on it all day long (part of a work project survey). I think once you've had it, you will always be more susceptible to a return.
    I've never felt comfortable with the low bar grip for squats. I've tried every permutation and it always feels as if I'm holding the weight. The last two sessions I've allowed the bar to creep a bit higher until it's almost in the high bar position which feels better balanced and more secure. I've decided that I'm going to stop low bar and gradually adapt to high bar-for all its disadvantages, for me it's the most natural position.

starting strength coach development program
    Nockian, did theraband work? How did you get rid of your Golfer's elbow?

I now have it from too much chinning. I can't do even 3 reps now because of the sharp pain.