starting strength gym

Thread: Green tea and white rice

Default Green tea and white rice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Robert, what are your thoughts on green tea?
    And i wanted to ask about how does eating white rice affects the blood suger spikeing? Is that the same as eating a chocolate for example?

Green tea is totally fine and full of antioxidants. White rice is not the same as chocolate since chocolate contains fat. It may not necessarily spike your blood sugar if you are not diabetic though. Further, mixing rice with beans or meat slows down the digestion, which in turn slows down the release into the bloodstream resulting in lower blood glucose levels than you would expect eating it by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Further, mixing rice with beans or meat slows down the digestion, which in turn slows down the release into the bloodstream resulting in lower blood glucose levels than you would expect eating it by itself.
    That is good to know. Thanks!

You are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Green tea is totally fine and full of antioxidants.
    This is totally true, but I want to add a little caveat. Green tea inhibits iron absorption, so don't overdo it. I've personally known two people who completely replaced their water intake with green tea because they thought it'd be healthier, and both developed an iron deficiency.
    (Lemon juice is commonly added to the tea to deal with this problem, but I imagine that wouldn't be great for your teeth in the long run, drinking green tea with lemon juice all day long.)
    Anyway, green tea is fine, I wouldn't use it as my only beverage though.

Were they eating meat? This is more likely to be an issue with women. Men store plenty of iron as it is and the inhibition of a fraction of it may end up being protective over the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    This is totally true, but I want to add a little caveat. Green tea inhibits iron absorption, so don't overdo it. I've personally known two people who completely replaced their water intake with green tea because they thought it'd be healthier, and both developed an iron deficiency.
    (Lemon juice is commonly added to the tea to deal with this problem, but I imagine that wouldn't be great for your teeth in the long run, drinking green tea with lemon juice all day long.)
    Anyway, green tea is fine, I wouldn't use it as my only beverage though.
    Yes i heard that drinking the green tea when eating something that it is not recommanded.
    I also heard that adding some lemon juice into the green tea can help with the absorbtion of the nutrients in the tea, and prevent the iron from not being absorbed by the body.

starting strength coach development program
    Again, this is unlikely to have a significant impact, especially on males.