starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much protein is it ok to get from "nonfood" sources

Default How much protein is it ok to get from "nonfood" sources

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am having a lot of trouble getting 200 grams of protein a day. I am in early 60's and just can't eat a lot of food without getting heartburn(have to stop eating around 6pm) or fat(ter) or both.

I am trying to get the protein through shakes and bars but I am not sure if this is a good solution. Right now I try to drink one shake(made of milk) with approx 30 grams a day and eat one or two bars at 20 grams each. Doing this I get 50-70 grams and can get the rest from food. Is this too much from this source?

Something else I am considering is making a shake the way Rip does with soda and 60 grams of powder(60 grams is way more than I can take in a shake). Would this and then one bar a day work? I don't like drinking soda from a health perspective but it does seem like a good way to get the protein.

Thank you

What food sources of protein have you been eating? Does soda not give you heart burn?

Breakfast is usually 3 eggs (sometimes with cheese) and 3 sausages or pieces of bacon.

Lunch and dinner are usually several chicken thighs at one and 1/3 to 1/2 lbs of steak or organic hamburger at the other. Once a week 1/3 lbs of salmon.

Usually, at one, I will have about a cup of rice with black beans at one and the other a Ceasar salad. Lunch may be a salad with a can of tuna occasionally also which seems to have
    quite a bit of protein.

Rootbeer and DP don't seem to bother it.

Thank you.

Bob

Why don't you just add some whites to those three eggs and give yourself another 25 grams there? Make yourself an omelette and such. The sausage and bacon aren't contributing much other than fat and if you are eating a lot of fat in your diet you are going to be too full to eat enough protein. Trim the fat and you'll get the protein in real easy.

That is a good idea and very doable.

I am assuming the 50-70 grams from shakes and bars is an acceptable percentage from these sources.

Thank you

Yep that's totally fine

Thank you

You are welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BobEwell View Post
    60 grams is way more than I can take in a shake
    I gave up on a shake consistency a long time ago; it goes down faster as sort of a sludge, rather than shake, and 60g really isn't very much...a couple of big gulps. Also, I add cocoa powder to a vanilla-flavored powder and it's much better than the chocolate flavored stuff you buy.

starting strength coach development program
    Same here. If I'm making it taste good it's no longer a shake and some sort of a fake dessert like protein pudding or a smoothie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast