starting strength gym

Thread: At a crossroads, asking for advice

Default At a crossroads, asking for advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello there,
    I'm 40 y/o, 192cm, with wide upper body build (wide shoulders and barrel chest), 110KG, BF% ~30% and BMI ~30, I've been training and eating sub-optimally because of my high weight, and kind of stuck right now, my number for 5 reps are:
    DL 140KG
    SQUAT 110 KG
    Bench 80 KG
    Press 55KG
    I don't do power clean, I do barbell rows instead, 80KG.
    Other than strength training, I live a very sedentary lifestyle.
    I've been eating (against the advice on here) ~2500Kcals, 200g Protein, 100-150 gr fat, 100-150 gr carbs.
    I'm at a point where all my lifts except bench are wither stalled or painful grinds, and my weight loss has also stalled.
    My priorities are getting strong, because I feel I'm too weak for my body potential, I don't mind not losing wieght, but I'm at a point where extra fat will be detrimental.

From what I gathered, reading posts on this forum I have 2 options:
    1. Drop the fat, increase the carb, go over 3000kcal and gain weight or muscle on the NLP.
    2. Replace the fat with carbs, keep low kcalorie but leave NLP to other intermediate program.

What would you suggest?

Another question, most of my carb intake is from oats (overnight with milk and whey) and beans (fava or lupini as snacks), I was told that I need to add quicker carbs (white rice and white bread), do you think that would be beneficial?

Hold the calories, flip the fat for carbohydrates, and introduce faster carbs pre/during/post workout. Try that and see what happens. Chances are your body fat percentage will decrease from an increase in muscle mass. You are at a stage where you can likely recomp especially with your build.