starting strength gym

Thread: Am I Eating Enough to Sustain Gains (History of Being Stuck)

Default Am I Eating Enough to Sustain Gains (History of Being Stuck)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, I am not new to SS, and I am also not new to getting stuck. I'm 50 years old, 6'2", 245lbs, too high BF% at 29%, and have been continually working out for last few years. I recently restarted the program post quarantine, and I want to make sure I am eating correctly. I know I need to lower body fat % but was hoping that would be a natural result of workload. After restart, I am 155lb on the squat, 155lb on bench, 235lb on DL, 115lb on OP, and 105lb on PC. These are not my highest recorded lifts, just where I am at in the NLP. In the past, I have struggled to get past 185lb on squat and bench, 285lb on DL, 135lb on OP. With my coach I hit 205lb on bench, and I am sure this is partly psychological because I work out alone in the early hours before work.

My macros say 245g protein and carb, and 54g fat (from Legion macro calc), and a basal rate of 2038 calories with TDEE of 3058.

Due to my history of not being able to push past these ceilings, I wanted to respectfully request some feedback on ensuring that my diet is giving my body the building blocks to continue to progress, while not jacking up my BF%.

Any help would be most appreciated!

TY
    SAM

Are you actually hitting those macros? Those carbohydrates and total calories are too low for a male your height and weight. Try closer to 400 g carbohydrate per day and push those calories to 3500.

Will give it a shot Robert, thank you. I always have a lingering concern in the back of my mind about BF%, but hopefully, as my lifts follow NLP, that will take care of itself. Appreciate the reply!

In the context of strength training, if you can keep your fat intake under control and get most of your volume for carbohydrates and protein you shouldn't have a problem keeping body fat reasonably managed.