starting strength gym

Thread: Good carb snacks for someone working out of a van all day?

Default Good carb snacks for someone working out of a van all day?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As stated I spend my days in a work van and a lunch break is often a luxury at best. I keep some protein snacks(like the chips and some jerky) on hand and I have some cliff bars but I'd like some options that are less sugar heavy since I already need to drink a fair amount of a gatorade type drink. What kinds of things do y'all recommend?

TIA!

Quest protein chips, jerky (as you said), cereal, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, fruits of all kinds, cold cut sandwiches if possible. You can always upgrade your van with a mini fridge too. If you have a cooler dairy products are easy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Quest protein chips, jerky (as you said), cereal, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, fruits of all kinds, cold cut sandwiches if possible. You can always upgrade your van with a mini fridge too. If you have a cooler dairy products are easy too.
    PBJ used to be a staple of mine. Good protein/complex carb combo, I think.

Any significant disadvantages to its nutritional profile?

It's not the greatest protein source but gets the job done in this context. You can always mix protein powder with PB powder and up the content that way too. Definitely use it as a snack though it's easy calories and pretty balanced in macronutrients and fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post

Get the better quality peanut butter which hasn't had the peanut oil removed (and sold for more profit) and replaced with cheaper palm oil. That rules out most of the main grocery store brands. There is a Smucker's one and all the Trader Joe's peanut butter have the original peanut oil. Check the ingredients and it should just be peanuts and possibly salt.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post

Not really. The organic stuff doesn't have sugar added and doesn't have that slight sweetness that the mass produced PB does. The calories add up quick so it's worth measuring if you gain body fat easily.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckInOsaka View Post
    Get the better quality peanut butter which hasn't had the peanut oil removed ... it should just be peanuts and possibly salt.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Not really. The organic stuff doesn't have sugar added and doesn't have that slight sweetness that the mass produced PB does. The calories add up quick so it's worth measuring if you gain body fat easily.
    Yes, I try to avoid the added sugar. And it is indeed a potent source of calories.