starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calories Intake for Intermediate lifters

Default Calories Intake for Intermediate lifters

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, I am a 20 year old male weighing 97kg(214 lbs) at 6ft tall. My strength level is that of an intermediate (or so I believe so I will share my lifts with you for validation). I have milked the hell out of NLP and gained weight to gain strength without counting macros and calories and just lifted. I have to admit that I gained more weight than I wanted to and shoot me in the head if you want but... I want to cut. I have been trying to estimate my maintenance calories for the past 3 weeks and the number has been disappointing as I feel this is much less than I used to eat and it worries me about whether I will be able to cut while maintaining strength and size. I came up with 2500-2700 calories for maintenance while training 3-4 times a week AND working as a nurse which requires a fair bit of walking and hours on my feet.

I wanna ask you @Robert Santana and other lifters who measure calories/macros, what would your calories be for each scenario (cut/maintain/bulk)? Is my intake abnormally low or fine?

Disclaimer: I dont feel like having huge hunger pangs or cravings, just psychologically feel that they are too low and from what I've read, people eat a lot more usually (unless it's fake news)?

How strong did you get on all lifts? List all available RMs. Your calories are not outside of what I've seen in the past no.

220kg deadlift, 165kg squat, 130 kg bench, 95kg press, 100kg power clean (rarely trained), 20kg weighted chins x5
    Everything except chins is a 1RM.

Good good. You are in a good place for your bodyweight and I think those calories are good starting points for a cut. I'd divide them up 50% carb, 30% protein, 20% fat and then just titrate down from there. If you are maintaining I'd go 3000-4500 and if you are gaining I'd go 3500-4000. Then adjust those numbers depending on response.

Problem with my cuisine is that fat accidentally adds on, for example with every conscious effort of only having carbs and protein, I end up with 30-35% fat. For this reason I wanna know if adding +500 carbs on workout days and supposedly a bit of cardio is a good idea

Where is the fat coming from?

Mostly oil that I have to take into account, my cuisine is Mediterranean so there will always be olive oil, I just convince them to use a bit less

Less is ideal. The calories add up quickly.

Yea I know. I feel like an extra 500 calories of carbs really helps me on training days, should I add cardio so I keep the same deficit or not? If yes, what kind and how much?

starting strength coach development program
    No that would be a band aide. Best learn to clean up your diet. If you are sedentary some cardio is beneficial though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast