starting strength gym

Thread: Protein per day targets, ease of compliance and flab

Default Protein per day targets, ease of compliance and flab

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 54 years old, 6'5" and 253 lbs.

I am on the weak side (242 lb DL), so plenty of that is flab (workin' on it).

The recommendations for someone of my size and age for protein consumption/day are around 253 grams (most recent reference, Dr. Sullivan's letter to doctor "1.65-2.2 g/kg/day").

I find getting 253 grams a protein a day a real pain in the ass -- such that it often doesn't happen -- and even when it does, it tends to make me exceed any reasonable calorie numbers/day (couple of whey protein shakes, extra helpings of steak).

Cogitating on this and what is in my pantry, I was wondering "Why not take the amino acid - Leucine - equivalent of 253 grams of protein a day in the form of BCAAs and save a bunch of calories, not have to struggle to come up with a protein shake that makes a huge mess, etc.?"

The first critical question: are pure BCAA 2:1:1 powders *really* ZERO calories?

Second question (even if not 0 kcal, I will assume they are less than the equivalent calorie cost for Leucine in Whey Protein powders): What do you think of this strategy: Eat whatever makes sense calorie, lifestyle (I share meals with others) and convenience-wise (focus on healthy/clean) -- then use BCAAs to make up any protein deficit?

Third question: how to translate "1.65-2.2 g/kg/day" into "x grams of Leucine/kg/day"?

What I like about this is that it gives me the chance to eat well (balanced nutrition, reasonable amount of calories - adjusting up as the weight gets serious and I need it for recovery) and separate that from a protein target.

Should this work?

How about you aim for 200-220 grams per day and start there. There is no agreed upon range for leucine but if you are eating animal products and taking protein powder you will be fine. Getting enough total protein grams should be your priority right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    How about you aim for 200-220 grams per day and start there. There is no agreed upon range for leucine but if you are eating animal products and taking protein powder you will be fine. Getting enough total protein grams should be your priority right now.
    So, what's you are basically saying is: "No, Joe, there is no way to cheat the calorie-man"? Reminds me, I need to finish my taxes before the extended deadline, as well...

I'm saying that if you eat plenty of good quality and plenty of it you should have no issue getting enough amino acids.