starting strength gym

Thread: Carbs vs. Fats

Default Carbs vs. Fats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Question for Robert on macro composition, specifically on allocating fat vs. carbs. I understand that strength training requires carbs because ATP is ultimately generated from glucose. But why is it necessary to eat 50-60% of calories from carbs? Why not 30-40% instead?

If someone is in a calorie surplus, and his non-lifting activities are all low impact, carb NEEDS should be modest, right? And in that instance provided muscle glycogen stores are full, is there a reason to eat additional carbs beyond the point of filling glycogen? It would seem that someone could get by with a far lower percent of carbs through meal timing provided overall calories were sufficient.

To this end, see this article from Lyle MacDonald, suggesting carbs can go as low as ~120g + 2.5g per work set, which implies ~160g for the starting strength template.

How Many Carbohydrates Do You Need? | Directlyfitness.com

Bottom line, what are pros and cons of high carb / low fat vs. medium carb / medium fat diet for lifters looking to gain strength assuming a modest calorie surplus.

It would logically follow that if someone was looking to cut, the high carb / low fat diet would be preferable to maintain muscle glycogen to fuel lifting.

Try it with less. I'm sure there is variability. Older lifters get away with less as well. Keep in mind that when you are lifting Actually Heavy weights the recovery from such a thing requires more resources. Insulin also helps deposit nutrients as well. I find that more people have tried it low and failed than the opposite. I suspect this is a function of low being fashionable.

Ok I tried it. Here are my results:

Last Friday I pressed 147.5 3x5 after squats. Last one nearly killed me but got it done.

Today, I could only muster 3x3 at 150 despite doing presses first. I’ve previously gotten 5 reps at 152.5

Last Thursday I ate 3009 calories, 322g carbs and 209g protein. Pre workout Friday (breakfast and lunch) was 1469 calories, 127g carbs and 96g protein. Math is 40% carb, 27% protein.

Yesterday was 2767 with 207/210 or c/p. Today breakfast, lunch, snack was 1926 calories with 154/118. Total 31% carb 28% protein.

Actually got 30 mins less sleep before last week

Very surprised by this since I expected lower carb to potentially impact later sets not the first ones.

I will note that my weekend eating was a bit of a junk filled disaster but have been clean all week so wouldn’t have expected bad days. Monday and Tuesday workouts were good at 40%?carb

Should I expect this is all from carbs or was today just a bad day in the gym?

Should I expect continued performance improvements with still more carbs?