starting strength gym

Thread: Trouble digesting protein

Default Trouble digesting protein

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a lifelong vegetarian. I have no good excuse for it. When I was a toddler, I refused to eat meat because it made my stomach hurt. So my parents stopped trying to feed it to me.

I've tried to introduce meat a few times over the years and it makes me throw up. We're talking, a few bites of shrimp or crab or bacon, not a big steak. I've been able to get away with 10g of collagen peptide protein powder, 20g puts me over the edge.

I'm 5'5 155lbs and about 33% body fat (using calipers). Now eating 2300 cal/day and maintaining weight.

I've been sitting at 90g of protein with no issues while inactive. When I started SS 3 weeks ago I tried to increase protein to 140g from vegetarian sources (whey and casein powder, eggs, cheese, the very occassional tofu or pea based "burger"). It's making me really nauseous. I've been sticking with it, but walk around all day feeling sick to my stomach and have to force myself to eat. My stomach is so bloated I look pregnant.

So now I'm wondering if it's not really meat, but big slugs of protein in general. I think the most protein I ever got in a sitting before was 20g from my daily protein shake.

I started taking digestive enzymes, protease for the protein, but I don't think they're helping much.
    Do you have any other ideas for things I can try?

I've mentioned this to my doctor's over the years and they all just shrug at me and tell me vegetarian diets are healthier anyway (insert giant eye roll, I can list in great detail all the ways being a vegetarian compromises my health on a daily basis).

How big are your servings of protein, how long are the intervals between protein rich meals, and most importantly, how strong are you?

My protein servings are averaging 30-40g per meal, with three meals, a snack, and two protein shakes per day (with my morning coffee and then after my workout) for another 20+20=40g.

This is spread over 4 hours. Usually I have protein coffee at 8, breakfast (greek yogurt and nuts) at 10, lunch (salad with eggs) at 12:30, snack (nuts, cheese, Noatmeal, etc) at 2, dinner (veggies + protein + cheese) at 5, protein shake at 8.

I track my food religiously and have been at 130-160g protein every day since I started SS June 14, with an average of 146.

I am not strong at all, having just started SS. Today's session was squat 95, press 45, deadlift 135, last session bench press was 50.

I just was determined to do the program "right" since previous weight training programs have always stalled early with my being unable to recover, hence being determined to get the protein up above my normal ~100g level.

Something else probably worth mentioning, although I know you'll yell at me, is that I'm on an endocrinologist monitored ketogenic diet for health reasons that is non-negotiable. But it's been over 2 years, so at this point I am as adapted to the diet as I'll ever be. I have played around with supplementing 30g of UCan superstarch (a very low glycemic carb source) before workouts, so can do that again if I feel my energy levels tanking.

But so far my energy and recovery are great, I just feel like throwing up all the time, which is inconvenient.

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps the low carbohydrate intake may be contributing to the nausea. Protein, when combined with carbohydrates, tends to work better. The reason you have energy is directly related to how little you are lifting. That will change in good time.

I've been following a keto diet for years with no problems at all. Although I get that the protein increase might have put me over the edge.

Unfortunately, the ketogenic aspect is non negotiable for me to be able to live a "normal" life. I get that it's not ideal for the average lifter. But I don't want to just give up on being able to get strong just because I have a medical condition.

I know I sound like a snowflake, but there's real reasons for my limitations and I'm also willing to work hard to get through what I can. I've been putting off figuring out a way to eat meat because I could get around it, now I'm willing to put in the work.

Like I said, you will learn as you try to add weight. Your muscles and joints won't negotiate either.

So basically your advice for people who have to follow a ketogenic diet to prevent seizures is to.... Never try to get stronger? Eat the carbs and live with the seizures?

I wasn't even asking about failure to recover. I was asking if you had any advice to digest protein better. It's ok if you don't. I just thought there was an offhand chance you might.

It's also ok if you think that keto isn't ideal for strength training. I agree with you. But there's enough evidence out there that it *can* be done, that it's upsetting you'd elect for a superior, snooty, attitude about a medical limitation instead.

When people have scoliosis, Rip doesn't tell them "you'll see, you have to either magically uncurve your spine, or get out of my gym." He helps them make modifications. If you aren't able to help me make modifications, you can say that without acting like I'm a fad diet weenie who just needs to realize the error of my way.

Do you have a history of seizures?

starting strength coach development program
    Do you have symptoms other than nausea and bloating? Diarrhea? Rash of some sort?

The only true inability to digest protein I’ve heard of is lysinuric intolerance. It’s a pretty rare genetic condition. So, it’s more likely your issues are an immune system mediated thing.

Have you ever been to an allergist or someone specializing in immunology? Might be worth a try.

—Andy