starting strength gym

Thread: Protein and cancer

Default Protein and cancer

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert

I've heard a lot about the connection between high protein diets and cancer, specifically through the activation of MTOR. A lot of this came from me reading Valter Longo's book. I'd like to know what your thoughts are!

Thanks

What is "high." They have no reliable way to measure this and while they continue to attempt to spin the data, the reality remains that you cannot measure what people actually consume.

If you’ll allow layman to comment:

1. Longo is all about longevity. His theory is that MTOR exacerbates cancer, therefore reduces longevity etc. You know what else is bad for longevity, not having any muscle mass? I will avoid posting a starting strength competitors podcast, but there are stories of people training after chemo and living for years when doctors have given them months. Cancer is a wasting disease, so having some muscle is very beneficial.

2. Studies out there will tell you that there are things you can do to offset the cancer causing properties of meat. A few things I’ve heard are a) green vegetables, and b) having sufficient glycine to offset methionine - basically eating nose to tail. Personally i aim for 8+ servings of veggies a day and make sure to eat ~10% of my protein from bone broth, collagen, etc. I eat meat with abandon and I’m not worried in the least.

3. The studies that link meat to cancer have VERY weak connections. As an example of the sort of thing they do, a person may have a 0.5% chance of cancer in a control, and 0.6% in the control, and these people will write in exclamation points about the 20% increase in cancer risk....These types of studies are notoriously hard to do to control for all the different lifestyle variables.

4. My opinion, not science, but I don’t think it’s very healthy for us to be in a constant anabolic state. I think our bodies are designed to go through phases of bulking and cutting to use bro terms. The catabolic phases will mute the MTOR and help clean things out. In my opinion, it’s probably a good idea to pair these phases with some fasting, perhaps even some Longo style fasting, although I wouldn’t recommend running NLP concurrently.

5. My opinion again, but there is a religious fervor attacking meat. Most of what they’re selling is crap. I would not eat an impossible burger at gunpoint. Longo is friends with these people.

Good point. He also mentions that you shouldn't eat outside of a 12hr window, keeping food intake between 8am and 8pm, for example. Is this worth stressing over, assuming I keep my calories in check?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by MattLiptak View Post
    Good point. He also mentions that you shouldn't eat outside of a 12hr window, keeping food intake between 8am and 8pm, for example. Is this worth stressing over, assuming I keep my calories in check?

Thanks again!
    no.

Well, that book was a waste of money.

Unfortunately, most of them are. That may change soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Forthcoming Santana book? How soon is "soon"? I'd be on that like a duck on a junebug.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I’ll put my order in now Robert. I would like it signed.

starting strength coach development program
    It will be a bit but it's a 100% certainty as long as I'm breathing.