starting strength gym

Thread: Adjusting from high deficit diet

Default Adjusting from high deficit diet

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After much indecision, took advantage of the lockdown and doubled down on the deficit. For the best part of the last 6 months I’ve been on 1850kcal / day: 200g protein, 15g carbs, 110g fat. This took me from 108kg bw / 30% bf down to 88kg bw / 21% bf. I was actually aiming for 85kg, but I’ve plateaued for the last few weeks and dialing back calories even more doesn’t feel like a good idea.

Overall my lifts are about 20% lower than where they were 6 months back, but I was expecting that. Also as expected, sessions have gotten super exhausting and draining, and my energy levels are at an all time low.

Question: how would I adjust macros to (ideally) keep losing bf but also starting to get my lifts back up? Over the last months I played around a bit with increasing calories, and even a 200cal uplift (on same macros) completely halted my weight loss every time.

Your goals are not compatible. Either you keep calories low and lose more body fat, or you increase calories, first through carbohydrate calories, and get stronger.

Thanks. In my scenario would you see any benefit in keeping the caloric deficit but changing macros from keto to a more high-carb / low-fat split?

Not if you care about your lifting performance.