starting strength gym

Thread: Stuck

Default Stuck

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Stuck at 210 pounds.

I'm 38. 6'2" and 210 pounds. I've been a "hard gainer" my whole life. My job is very physical, with my smart watching telling me I burn anywhere between 3500-4000 calories on most workdays. Take that for what it's worth, but based on what I eat vs. what the watch tells me relative to how my weight gain goes, I'd say it's accurate enough to throw a baseline around.

I was 175-180 pounds when I started this program, and I have fought like hell for every single pound. Now I'm stuck at 210 pounds. I'm dealing with yet another injury that is taking forever to heal. I'm blaming my diet/weight and not my shitty form. :-)

I can handle milk somewhat, but once I get up to about a half-gallon a day, I do tend to get heartburn. Plus, when I'm working outside in 100 degree heat with a belly full of milk, it's not always a pleasant experience. My wife is an amazing cook and can produce virtually anything. With her being Japanese, I've considered asking her to make Chanko Nabe (Sumo Stew) but ingredients aren't always easy to come by. Are there any other foods/meals you recommend for a guy like me?

Also, in case you're interested, I'll give you what I ate on Friday. It's pretty typical in terms of portions and macronutrients:

Breakfast:

3/4 Cup (measured) of Bob's Red Mill Thick Cut Rolled Oatmeal w/ approx. 6 oz of milk, Large handful of chopped walnuts, 1 TBSP of "Nuttzo Power Fuel", 3 TBSP of Cinnamon, and a splash of maple syrup

Lunch:

~1 lb. of pot roast meat, ~8-10 small multi-colored potatoes, and a handful of carrots.
    1 cup of greek yogurt with blueberries
    2 peaches

Dinner:

Salmon filet. (I don't have this weighed, but it's about the size of two large fists)
    1 bag of "Seeds of Change" Brown Rice and Quinoa
    1 Large Bowl of Salad consisting of Kale, Spinach, Red Chard, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, 1 boiled egg, and balsamic vinaigrette/olive oil
    1/2 cup asparagus
    2/3 serving of Lindt 86% Dark Chocolate

Snack 1:

Protein shake consisting of 16 oz of milk and a scoop and a half of Optimum Nutrition whey protein.
    3 boiled eggs with salt and pepper.

Snack 2:

Ice Cream (Drumstick Cone)

Also, the only liquids I consume are water, coffee, milk, and whiskey and not necessarily in that order. :-)

Do you like rice?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Do you like rice?
    Sure do! How much should I add?

Add 4 cups per day. That will get keep you moving along.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Add 4 cups per day. That will get keep you moving along.
    Thanks! Will do!

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome.