starting strength gym

Thread: Carbs/Muscle protein synthesis.

Question Carbs/Muscle protein synthesis.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have seen both Robert Santana and Mark Rippetoe recommend altering the carbs intake when one aims to lose fat. Is this thought proccess regarding the fact that [B]a:[B] some people are more insulin resistant or b just the fact that protein must stay the same, while fat is already low?

Regarding my case, I have taken a Glucose Tolerance test that implies I am NOT insulin resistant. Howver with carbs, apart from the insulin resistance part, there is also the fact that more carbs=more glycogen=more water weight and vice versa, so how would we know if the weight loss is the aftermath of fat loss or water loss?

Finally when it comes to carbs, why do we even need carbs since we already can gain Glycogen through Gluconeogenesis? My experience does make me feel that carbs help drive performance but theory makes me wonder. In layman terms, is it like an overload of glycogen storage in our muscles when we do eat carbs, whereas if we don't we get a lesser amount?

Last, if protein is the muscle building block and muscle hypertrophy requires energy if I get it correctly, why do people make it feel impossible for late novices/intermediates+ to gain muscle on a caloric deficit if their protein is adequate? Is it a physiological issue or just the fact that less calories=less energy=less training output to drive gains?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLAGman27 View Post
    Finally when it comes to carbs, why do we even need carbs since we already can gain Glycogen through Gluconeogenesis? My experience does make me feel that carbs help drive performance but theory makes me wonder. In layman terms, is it like an overload of glycogen storage in our muscles when we do eat carbs, whereas if we don't we get a lesser amount?
    Why would you think the body makes substantial amounts of glycogen via gluconeogenesis? Glucose, yes, because gluconeogenesis is triggered by low blood sugar levels. But if there were sufficient glycogen stores available to maintain blood glucose levels, why would gluconeogenesis even be occurring? It's like saying you're going to keep depositing a portion of your paycheck into your savings account even after you've lost your job.

Look at the previous paragraph you typed - switching to low carb causes water loss because of less glycogen. Don't you think that if the former is true, the latter cannot be true and vice versa?

Gluconeogenesis and other alternative energy processes like ketogenesis are the body's attempt to keep the brain functioning. Glucose & ketone bodies can cross the blood-brain barrier whereas fatty acids cannot. The body cares about your brainZzZ not your gainZzZ.
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 07-22-2020 at 09:45 PM.