starting strength gym

Thread: Skinny-fat, at the crossroads?

Arrow Skinny-fat, at the crossroads?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coach,

I recently read your Skinny-Fat Lifter article and think I'm probably a good case for the "mini-cut" during the LP. I'm at the point in my LP where I think I may need to shift more towards fat loss, but I'm not sure.

I am 6' 3", 207 lbs, with a 38" waist. I started the program at about ~195 lbs (unsure of starting waist).

My lift progression since May 25, including a week of vacation:
    SQ: 115 -> 220
    PR: 65 -> 130
    BP: 115 - > 160
    DL: 185 ->310
    PC: 135 -> 150

Macros:
    P: 200
    F: 30 - 60, aiming for < 100
    C: ~200

My deadlift and press are getting really tough, the squat is so-so, and the bench is still pretty easy. Power cleans are a cinch still. I have previous training history from about two years ago with fahve-PRs of SQ 275, P 165, DL 320, BP 205, PC 185.

Should I shift my nutrition and programming to start a mini-cut now? Or should I up my carbs and drive harder on my NLP for a few weeks more?

A final note: I've been targeting and tracking the above macros for about a week now. I'm unsure what I was hitting before though I know I was at least hitting the protein target. Other than that I don't really think my eating has changed tremendously since I started tracking.

I think you should drive your lifts up some more and let your body recompose. You have room to do that given your size and current lifts. If you weren't tracking before clean them up now to better fuel your workouts so you can deadlift 405 x 5. Also, are you chinning?

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond Coach. Sounds like I shouldn't worry about a mini-cut and just run out the LP before trying to lose body fat.

Do you think the macro goals above are adequate or should I drive (or LP) the carbs up to 400 g/day like I've seen you recommend a lot?

I don't chin on the "B" workout, I still do the DL on "A" and clean on "B". I have been known to do some sporadic sets of chins on occasion and can do about 5-6 in a set. Should I start doing them as part of my "B" workout?

Scale up to 400 g/d and do your chins. Chins are part of the program. An important part. Do them.

Will do both! Thanks for your help Coach!

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome!