starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Caffeine....

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Sorry, Robert, for an additional question... I overthink things some times.

The bulk caffeine vs the Legion pre-workout drink Pulse. I know you like Legion a lot, so I already lean towards them.

But the cost issue... 300 servings ($18) vs 30 ($40).

Is there any reason why I would take the Legion caffeine supp vs the bulk one? I don't have a problem paying more, but within reason and when I would receive equivalent value. In this case, that increased value doesn't seem to exist. Am I wrong here?
    If you don’t care about the other ingredients in Pulse (beta alanine, citrulline, etc.) then yes, it is very overpriced compared to the Bulk caffeine pills.

So, today I got some CVS generic caffeine pills, 200mgs per tablet.

Figure this was a very low cost trial run. If I have positive reactions, I'll make a decision on either the Bulk product or Legion (very strong lean towards the Bulk inexpensive option).

Figure this was a very low cost trial run. If I have positive reactions, I'll make a decision on either the Bulk product or Legion (very strong lean towards the Bulk inexpensive option).
    Right. Get a baseline response to just the caffeine. Test out the other option against it later if you're so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    If you don’t care about the other ingredients in Pulse (beta alanine, citrulline, etc.) then yes, it is very overpriced compared to the Bulk caffeine pills.
    Thanks for this reply. I'm good with paying a lot for stuff...if I get VALUE for it. How much I want to overpay is another story. If I get 90% of the benefit for 10% of the price (plain old caffeine tabs vs Pulse), then I'm good and happy. I will be paying a lot for SS coaching/programming. But I'm getting A LOT of value for that. So, it's more of a value prop vs overall cost.

PS - is Jonathan Sully and jfsully one and the same person on here?

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Right. Get a baseline response to just the caffeine. Test out the other option against it later if you're so inclined.
    Thanks for this reply too. Like I said above, I'm pretty sure the Pulse is prob not going to make a significant difference from regular old caffeine pills, so I'm going to pass for now, and likely will spend some money elsewhere.

PS - is Jonathan Sully and jfsully one and the same person on here?
    No. I am also a doctor (psychiatrist) and we share similar names, but I am NOT the author of the Barbell Prescription. He is on here under his full name.

So, an update because I know everyone has been waiting.....

1) got the kid multi from Costco. They are like gummy bears and delicious. So, a temptation for me to avoid when I when I want sweet candy.

2) I also got the adult multi (Kirkland brand, 500 tabs @ ~$15!), C, and d3 (also from Kirkland, very inexpensive) vitamins, taking every day along with Now brand creatine.

3) the caffeine tabs from CVS SEEM to be doing the trick. My personal side effect to caffeine.... I can't stop talking. I talk a mile a minute when I take these, and I will now take them only on heavy squat and DL day, probably. Not any other days. Probably.....

4) I just couldn't justify the significant cost increase for Legion's products right now. It just didn't make sense to me. Lkke Robert said, the Kirkland brands I bought had the USP label.

Cool. Cost efficiency is a fabulous thing. You'll build tolerance to the caffeine in time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Good reason.

Robert, I don't know the manufacturers of Bulk, so I can't attest to the quality of the brand, but I was trying to get at two points:

1. Fake products are pervasive on Amazon, so it can be difficult to tell if you are actually get the brand you thought you bought.

2. Usually these brands make more money off of a sale if you order directly from their site; Same price as purchasing through Amazon, but the brand doesn't have to pay additional fees and commissions to Amazon.
    I've started buying the same way for the same reason.

However, I see today that Amazon will no longer be able to get away with this scam without legal consequences:
    California: Amazon Can Now Be Held Liable for Defective Goods Sold on its Platform Amid Injury and Property Damage Reports

btw, if you want to have the most focused lifting session of your life, take l-theanine (green tea extract) with your coffee before the workout. You'll experience all the benefits of caffeine without the jitters. Google around for the recommended caffeine/l-theanine ratio. (Disclaimer: I'm not an MD. I just try shit)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12