starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Caffeine....

Default Using Caffeine....

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Not sure if this belongs here or the General Q&A board, so please move if needed.

I don't drink coffee and I rarely take in Caffeine. No real reason, except I don't drink soda/coffee. There have been some times where I will have taken an energy Gel that has caffeine (this was during my triathlon training) and I felt an immediate response (aka, had very good workouts). These times were very few/far between by design; at key workouts and race day. So, in the course of a 10 week training period, maybe 4 times to take caffeine and one of the four was race day.

I have a few questions, as it relates to lifting....
    1) is the best way to take this a caffeine 'pill'? Or a gel? Gels can get a bit pricey if taken a lot. Any recommendations on what to buy?

2) Is taking caffeine 3x/week (training days only) going to 'dilute' the effectiveness on the days I take it?

3) Any insights into stomach issues when regularly taking caffeine?

4) Most sessions are in the AM...so, my "bfast" is a banana or a piece of toast with jelly, then head to the gym 20 minutes later. I assume popping the caffeine pill at this time?

Thanks for being patient and the help.

1) Caffeine Anhydrous works real well.

2) It shouldn't but we do build up tolerance so pay attention to that.

3) Varies depending on the person. I don't have any. Have you had them in the past?

4) Caffeine and a protein shake would be a good add.

Always happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    1) Caffeine Anhydrous works real well.

2) It shouldn't but we do build up tolerance so pay attention to that.

3) Varies depending on the person. I don't have any. Have you had them in the past?

4) Caffeine and a protein shake would be a good add.

Always happy to help.
    Thanks, Robert. No idea on if 'straight' caffeine would mess my stomach up, was just curious if it's a potential side effect, like it can be with creatine.

And re #4...i know you don't recall this, but I used to train for triathlon on an empty stomach in the AM. that has SORT OF carried over here. Can people really tolerate a protein shake 20 minutes prior to a workout? I usually work out in the AM (like to be starting no later than 7am...6am when the gym opens back up at full time hours). I'd have to wake up at 430 to not feel like I"m going to throw up. How would I work around that? I'll be very honest...I don't want to test the theory, as a good solid vomit is something I want to avoid.

But I guess 8oz of milk + one scoop powder may be tolerable...you're not talking 20oz shake, are you?

These pills would work, right? Link to Amazon

No proprietary blend, etc. Just straight up Caffeine anhydrous in the pills (allegedly)....

I don't like to ingest anything sold on Amazon.

What's wrong with coffee?

Bulk makes good stuff. I can tolerate just about anything pre- and intraworkout so again it really depends. The better question is what are you eating the evening before and at what time?

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    I don't like to ingest anything sold on Amazon.

What's wrong with coffee?
    I don't like or drink coffee. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Bulk makes good stuff. I can tolerate just about anything pre- and intraworkout so again it really depends. The better question is what are you eating the evening before and at what time?
    I've been gaining (a little bit too much) weight, so I try to not eat after 9pm most evenings. If I've experienced a severe deficit in either overall calories or protein, I'll eat maybe a cup of cottage cheese... That would be around 10ish, maybe.

If I train first thing in the morning, should I make it a regular habit to eat something a bit later?

If you are cutting yourself off early in the evening then eating early in the day becomes more important to avoid extreme hunger later in the evening. You should definitely eat something within 30-60 minutes of training yes.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I don't like or drink coffee. Yuck.
    Good reason.

Robert, I don't know the manufacturers of Bulk, so I can't attest to the quality of the brand, but I was trying to get at two points:

1. Fake products are pervasive on Amazon, so it can be difficult to tell if you are actually get the brand you thought you bought.

2. Usually these brands make more money off of a sale if you order directly from their site; Same price as purchasing through Amazon, but the brand doesn't have to pay additional fees and commissions to Amazon.

I have a client that uses Bulk and worked in the industry. I have never used it but he spoke well of them. I personally recommend Legion because I know that Mike pays more for 3rd party testing hence the higher price tag.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry, Robert, for an additional question... I overthink things some times.

The bulk caffeine vs the Legion pre-workout drink Pulse. I know you like Legion a lot, so I already lean towards them.

But the cost issue... 300 servings ($18) vs 30 ($40).

Is there any reason why I would take the Legion caffeine supp vs the bulk one? I don't have a problem paying more, but within reason and when I would receive equivalent value. In this case, that increased value doesn't seem to exist. Am I wrong here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast