starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone actually like oatmeal

Default Does anyone actually like oatmeal

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I find it pretty disgusting; slimy and tasteless. If you add enough sugar and fruit, you might as well eat granola.
    Why is it so widely recommended?

It tastes better slow cooked with milk.

What kind of oatmeal? If it's the instant stuff then it's crap - precooked and then redried with most of the flavour gone. Rolled oats are good and the steel cut are even better. They have a nutty taste that mostly comes from the part the instant version throws away.

I make it in the rice cooker overnight which means little work in the morning and I can use the regular slow cook kind of oatmeal. I set the timer so that it's ready for when I get up - use the porridge setting (sometimes called okayu - Japanese rice porridge) if you have it. I'll add some milk to it when I get up and let it warm up while I drink my first cup of coffee. You can add some raisins or other dried fruit if you want. No sugar should be needed. I'm eating muesli right now because the weather here is so hot and humid but I'll be back to oatmeal around October.

I like it. A little bit of cinnamon can go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    It tastes better slow cooked with milk.
    Steel cut, even though it goes through me violently, is great. I like my oatmeal savory... Milk, salt and butter added when done.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    I find it pretty disgusting; slimy and tasteless. If you add enough sugar and fruit, you might as well eat granola.
    It's grain. That's what grain is all about. You don't have to eat it. If you want to eat it, you can use it like any other grain -- grinding and baking, as a thickener, etc. You know you can do a lot more with it than just boil it in water, right? Just like wheat, there are other ways to eat it than cream of wheat or a bowl of boiled wheat berries.

It's easy to make something that's different from slop, but you have to approach it intelligently by using whole or steel cut oats, but perhaps rolled in a pinch, and adapting it to your own tastes. Pancakes, muffins, oat cakes, and, yes, granola are easy things to make. You can make hot cereal go any way you want it to: sweet= cottage cheese, fruit, warming spices; savory= cheddar or parm and 5 fried eggs; traditional: pour over milk +/- honey. Thousands of options out there including eat-something-else. There are a few other options. Maybe.

I love oatmeal. Two teaspoons of dark brown sugar give it a nice flavor and a hint of sweetness with only about 8 grams of sugar, which is pretty small relative to the carbs you get from the oatmeal itself.

It’s delicious cooked in milk, though I tend to do it in water to keep the fat down.

Oatmeal is one of my favorite meals, hands down. When done right, it's probably one of the best ways to get carbs and fiber in a compact, versatile package. It's a lot like broccoli or brussels sprouts - most people boil the hell out of them and wonder why they taste like spackle. Here's what I do:

Start with either rolled oats or steel-cut oats. If it says "instant" or "quick-cook" on it, it's glue pretending to be oats. Rolled oats tend to cook up fluffy and thicker, so if you're adverse to that kind of mono-textural experience, go for that.

Steel-cut oats take longer to cook and comes to a more risotto-like texture, which some people like but doesn't really do it for me.

Bring 2 + 1/3 cups of water to a boil for each cup of dried oats. Once the water is at a rolling boil, add the oats slowly to the pot, so that it stays at a boil. The goal here is to keep the water hot so that your oats can absorb as much as possible without cooking them too much. It's basically the same as steaming rice.

Once the oats are in, give it a stir and cover the pot. Kill the heat and walk away. Don't uncover it, stir it, or even look at it for the next 30 minutes so that the heat stays in. After they've soaked up that liquid, you'll be left with a pot of fluffy, toothsome oats, no extras required. Although if you were to throw some golden raisins and brown sugar in there...

This might take some experimentation, but a good bowl of oats is pretty hard to top. Taking it low and slow keeps the integrity and natural sweetness of the oat without turning it into slush. Give it a shot - hope this helps.

I grind it up in my magic bullet then mix it in with a scoop or two of whey, it’s so easy

starting strength coach development program
    I’ve never been an oatmeal guy. That said I just ate a cup of oatmeal with 6oz of ground turkey. Legitimately delicious. I’d eat another bowl.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast