starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creatine monster

Default Creatine monster

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm intentionally overdosing on creatine. I'll take up to about 4 5g scoops per day. I'm thinking, maybe this geezling needs the volume, similar to protein (uptake less efficient with age?).

After a few weeks, no obvious side effects. Lifts seem strong. Bench is suuuuuper strong (always relatively).

Is this going to kill me, other than by the monstrous poundage on the bar?

Have you compared it to the standard dose? As a general rule I would not recommend megadosing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Have you compared it to the standard dose? As a general rule I would not recommend megadosing it.
    The recommended loading phase is a week at ~ 20g per day. Following that, 5g/day.

So, I’m in a perpetual loading phase. (51yo, 5’7”, 190#)

That's fine. I thought you were suggesting consuming the high dose indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    That's fine. I thought you were suggesting consuming the high dose indefinitely.
    Actually, I haven’t backed off the loading phase. So I /am/ taking multiple 5g scoops per day. Sometimes 4 scoops, often less.

Sounds like you consider that megadosing, which is not recommended.

It probably won’t hurt you, as creatine is quite safe. It’s probably a waste of money, as more than 5g hasn’t been shown to help, but creatine is pretty darn cheap.

Some people apparently don’t respond much to creatine. I take it, but am not really sure if it helps. My hypothesis is that if you get sufficient creatine from diet (meat), then supplementing might not help very much, as you already have enough to maximize its benefit.

One thing to be aware of: creatine is metabolized into creatinine, which is measured in routine blood tests as a proxy for kidney function. If you supplement with a lot of creatine, you might have “elevated” creatinine levels on a blood test that will alarm your doctor. It might also mask kidney disease, if you assume the high number is from creatine but it’s really from kidney failure.

IOW, Creatine does NOT hurt your kidneys, but it can confuse the measurement of kidney function, which may be an issue if you have kidney problems for another reason.

Robert, I remember having some digestive issues with creating the very first time I started supplementing with it. I remember doing the old high dose ramp up before tapering down to 5g daily. Do you have to really mind your hydration when you use high doses?

You absolutely have to mind your hydration on all doses. Think about what is happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    I'm intentionally overdosing on creatine. I'll take up to about 4 5g scoops per day. I'm thinking, maybe this geezling needs the volume, similar to protein (uptake less efficient with age?).
    Not sure if OP will see this, but a question for you if so:

Did you notice a real difference after you started taking creatine? I am an older lifter as well.

I don't know if I do. I took the prescribed 5mg a day for a while which didn't seem to make any difference for me. Later on I read as someone who does not eat meat, it might be a good idea to take at least 15 mg/day. I have been and I can't really see any difference. Maybe I don't know what to look for.

Progress has been great before and after I started taking it and it's very cheap so I'm just sticking with it.

At least until my supply runs out!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Vektor View Post
    Not sure if OP will see this, but a question for you if so:

Did you notice a real difference after you started taking creatine? I am an older lifter as well.

I don't know if I do. I took the prescribed 5mg a day for a while which didn't seem to make any difference for me. Later on I read as someone who does not eat meat, it might be a good idea to take at least 15 mg/day. I have been and I can't really see any difference. Maybe I don't know what to look for.

Progress has been great before and after I started taking it and it's very cheap so I'm just sticking with it.

At least until my supply runs out!
    Fellow V,

The 5mg/day never seemed to make a difference with me, hence the megadose experiment.

When I remember, I’ll take 15+ mg/day in 3-4 doses. Scoop on the tongue, then swish with water.

I’m certainly not running a controlled experiment, changing one variable at a time. But my lifts are going fairly strong (at 51 yo), creatine is cheap, my kidneys are doing what they’re supposed to, and most importantly , I welcome any placebo effect (requires careful amnesia of Robert’s advice).

I eat meat when I’m able to catch and prepare it. (Kroger is in that hunting cycle.)

V

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast