starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going intermediate early due to diabetes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Elle,

I appreciate the advice. With Mark kicking my ass I have been strictly Keto; below 40 net carbs for me puts me into ketosis AND dramatically lowers my BS quickly. I've done it before to get in the single digits bodyfat, and have already dropped to a fasted 198 BS in the mornings. If past performance of eating low carb is an indicator then I should be down in the low hundreds in a week or so. I've been able to maintain bodyweight throughout and am holding steady at 205. If I can get it into the low 100's fasted through diet (I want to avoid medication at all costs), then I'll slowly start to increase calories to hopefully starting gaining again. With how high it jumped this go I think I've made the decision to stay Keto until my BS is completely under control, and eat Paleo/Primal for the rest of my days.

I have access to all the above-mentioned foods and utilize that and other hacks (cut da carb sheets, keto bread, Primal blueprint recipes etc.), to great effect. It still is a bit more difficult getting to 4500 keto imo. I feel so much more satiated with fat and just can't seem to eat enough at once sitting. I have limited time to eat a day so 4 meals are almost out of the question with work.

Coincidentally, my lifts have gotten easier (I can complete them with a balls to the wall effort). Last weeks sets were 305 3x5 on heavy squat. I was probably heading for some type of crash with BS levels as high as they were. I'm going to guess that my recovery has gotten better as my BS returns to semi-normal levels.

With that being said. My original questions still stand. Is there a program that's recommended that allows for a longer recovery period than a week (your standard HLM), and GGW which seems to be almost 3 months. I feel like weekly increases are really pushing it right now, and a 2-3 week cycle would be ideal. I don't quite feel recovered, and am semi-dreading 315 3x5 this week . Maybe I'm just being a pussy.

HLM would be my preferred modality as its easily modified if work interferes with getting 3 workouts in (hotel travel). In the past, I can typically move all heavy lifts to "Monday," skip light because I don't have access to my home gym, and come home end of the week to hit Medium. This usually nets me about the same gain as it's almost a mini deload with more recovery when it happens intermittently.

Thank you again for your comments. It's good to know that there are other people who are making gains with not being able to eat the standard powerlifting/strength diet. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

If you feel you need longer recovery from weekly HLM, then conceptually you can think of your training as being for a more advanced lifter. In such a case you can program in monthly blocks where every 4 weeks or so you have a PR week. The weeks leading up to that can undulate volume and intensity so that the net result is a PR week, but the individual weeks to get there may include some lighter weeks.

I'm glad that you're feeling better! Silver lining is that hopefully this serves as the motivation for you to put in the work to maintain your health long term.

One thing you might try is fat fasting. I still eat in a 6 hour window. But consuming pure fat doesn't impact any of the blood-sugar related benefits of a fast (hormone stabilization, glucose levels, etc). Bonus, the pure fat dose can get ketone levels up which triggers glucose levels to come down.
    So, outside of my eating window I will have a coffee with 2tbsp cream and 1tbsp MCT oil in the morning, and then 2tbsp coconut cream in a decaf black tea before bed. Or if I'm feeling lazy, I just take a shot of MCT oil.
    In your case, this might work well because it's easier to drink your calories, and because it doesn't really take any effort to prep, even at work. You can even get the powdered MCT oil or the oil packets to pack in your suitcase.
    If you're not trying to fast, throw a scoop of protein powder in there for good measure.

Sorry I can't offer advice on further modifications to HLM, except to say that I hope it'll only be a few weeks before you're recovered enough to be able to maintain a non-modified program.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    I'm glad that you're feeling better! Silver lining is that hopefully this serves as the motivation for you to put in the work to maintain your health long term.

One thing you might try is fat fasting. I still eat in a 6 hour window. But consuming pure fat doesn't impact any of the blood-sugar related benefits of a fast (hormone stabilization, glucose levels, etc). Bonus, the pure fat dose can get ketone levels up which triggers glucose levels to come down.
    So, outside of my eating window I will have a coffee with 2tbsp cream and 1tbsp MCT oil in the morning, and then 2tbsp coconut cream in a decaf black tea before bed. Or if I'm feeling lazy, I just take a shot of MCT oil.
    In your case, this might work well because it's easier to drink your calories, and because it doesn't really take any effort to prep, even at work. You can even get the powdered MCT oil or the oil packets to pack in your suitcase.
    If you're not trying to fast, throw a scoop of protein powder in there for good measure.

Sorry I can't offer advice on further modifications to HLM, except to say that I hope it'll only be a few weeks before you're recovered enough to be able to maintain a non-modified program.
    Elle,

Great info! I never even though of this, but it makes perfect sense. Easy way to get more calories without raising my blood sugar. I am now consistently in the low 200's fasted. Thank you again for all the help!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    If you feel you need longer recovery from weekly HLM, then conceptually you can think of your training as being for a more advanced lifter. In such a case you can program in monthly blocks where every 4 weeks or so you have a PR week. The weeks leading up to that can undulate volume and intensity so that the net result is a PR week, but the individual weeks to get there may include some lighter weeks.
    Hayden,

This seemed to be pretty close to what Garage Gym Warrior offered so I decided to just go with it. It's very different doing 4x6 sets coming from almost always doing "fahves." I like it so far in the first week. I've resigned myself to the slower than optimal progress, but I feel this route will be better for me in the long run while I really get my Blood Sugar under control and start travel more again as Covid restrictions are lifting.

Hopefully I update in 6 months with a 600 lb. deadlift and 500 lb squat .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12