starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition while training with gout and some other stuff.

Default Nutrition while training with gout and some other stuff.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

I'm 39, 5'8, 215 lbs, 38ish inch waist. I'm a thick boy. My lifts are non-existent as I've not started yet, other than farting around with a newly purchased weight set, only a 130 lb overhead press, nothing to brag about. While waiting for my bench and rack to come so I could start the novice programming, I had to go and get gout like a goon. I'll be starting the meds for it next week. I also decided at the time to go ahead and get blood work done and my a-1c was 5.5. I know that's considered normal but it's too high on the normal side for my liking.

I 've clearly done damage to myself and I know I'm not likely to reverse what's been done, but I'd like to not damage myself further. I'm thinking I need to treat my diet as if I'm already I'm pre diabetic, as I've clearly got to lose weight. I expect my strength gains given my age and with the goal of fat loss first won't be impressive, but I feel given my situation, I've got to go this route.

Given the amount of carbs needed to push through the intensity of these workouts, how would a fatty like myself, with the uncomfortably high a-1c go at this without pushing myself into a corner I can't get out of? Would eating my starchy carbs around my workouts and dropping the starchies for leafy greens for the rest of my meals work? I've already made positive changes in my diet. I haven't had sugar for almost a month and drinking nothing but water.

The other issue is the protein requirements. I'm not unfamiliar with consuming a gram per lb of bodyweight, I've gone that route in the past (I haven't trained with weights for about 15 years). I'm just scared to death with the high protein requirements needed to get stronger given my already compromised renal situation. Can I make up for a lower protein intake if I supplement with enough bcaas?

I might be overthinking this and if my thought process is off I'm sure you'll tell me.

Thanks,

-Evan

Can you elaborate on your renal situation?

I guess what I mean is when you've got gout I assume you've done some damage, even if it's minor. I don't have kidney disease or anything like that. I've read the Taubes article on gout and I'm convinced my issue was sugar and likely dehydration. I have a huge sweet tooth and I drank coffee way more than I drank anything else.

Taubes position on sugar is a bit extreme. Too much is problematic yes but some, taken at the correct time, is productive.

Gout requires a low purine diet, which I am sure you have read about. It eliminates many high protein foods but still leaves several. You can and should consume enough protein, water, and carbohydrates to drive progress while moderating fat so that you don't gain too much body fat. Below is a pretty standard link to a low purine diet. Modify your choices and make them work for your needs

Low Purine Diet Explained with List of Foods to Eat or Avoid

Thanks for taking the time Robert. I've been enjoying your contribution to all this since I decided to take up strength training again.

starting strength coach development program
    You are very welcome. Always happy to help