starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition and early morning training

Default Nutrition and early morning training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach,

A few months ago I started training first thing in the morning. I knock back some coffee and creatine then lift. Been making good progress, and I have enough physical and mental energy for my training.

I’m wondering if I’m leaving something on the table by not getting some protein in before I lift. Is there a “best” approach?

Also, after I train I eat protein and a big dose of carbs. I keep the fat low for that meal. Does it matter when I get my fat grams?

I’m 47, male, 5’11”, 225.

Current best lifts are:

Squat 360 (previous best was 395 but fixing some form issues)
    DL 440
    BP 267
    OHP 185

Current macros p/c/f are 225/360/80 (with 35-40g fiber per day)

Thanks for your time and your work on this forum. It’s been incredibly helpful!

I don't know that protein timing is the issue but it's generally recommended to take some in beforehand. What is your programming like right now?

I'm no expert on this topic, but I think you're doing a good job. Some have an easier time training in the morning, I have a few friends who do the same. I personally do it in the afternoon, I'm not the morning type of person, I get up waaay too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I don't know that protein timing is the issue but it's generally recommended to take some in beforehand. What is your programming like right now?
    I’ve been doing Andy Baker’s 852 as a four day split in a seven day week (not his powerbuilding version, the regular one). At the moment, I have a tweaked adductor and hamstring so doing rehab for that while doing regular bench and press days.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferBolt View Post
    I'm no expert on this topic, but I think you're doing a good job. Some have an easier time training in the morning, I have a few friends who do the same. I personally do it in the afternoon, I'm not the morning type of person, I get up waaay too late.
    Thanks. I’m not really a morning person, but starting at 8:30-9 at night kept me up too late. My young children also start my day by 6 in the morning anyhow, so I just decided to embrace the pain and train early.

A few days ago I heard that fat intake right before and after your workout isn´t the best option because reasons (something like "inhibits muscle growth"). So more carbs around your training time and eat the fat at other times during the day like you already seem to do.

Just heard it, can´t confirm if correct or not.

Quote Originally Posted by eppyg View Post
    I’ve been doing Andy Baker’s 852 as a four day split in a seven day week (not his powerbuilding version, the regular one). At the moment, I have a tweaked adductor and hamstring so doing rehab for that while doing regular bench and press days.
    If you are rehabbing then you need to rehab so that you can push yourself. No dietary fix is going to put PRs on lifts that hurt.

I was training at 530 in the morning last year but had to do it with no food or coffee because of my thyroid meds. I felt fucking terrible and struggled the whole time, on outlier days I’d go at night instead I felt significantly stronger. I always assumed it was because I had no carbs in me, but if you can pull that off that is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    If you are rehabbing then you need to rehab so that you can push yourself. No dietary fix is going to put PRs on lifts that hurt.
    I’m clear on that, just looking ahead to when I can train for progress as it were. If the protein I take in this context is one of those things that doesn’t make a real difference, I’ll try both ways and see what happens. Thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't think it will make a difference if you are eating enough throughout the day and spacing it out fairly well. That said, it is always better to have protein before vs not. You'll just have to try. The biggest game changers in my experience are carbs and salt. If you bloat up a bit, the weight moves real nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast