starting strength gym

Thread: Waist Circumference cut off

Default Waist Circumference cut off

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert - firstly, thanks for all the incredible material you provide here for all of us.

In your - excellent - article on Body Composition you say “waist circumference recommendations of 40” for males and 35” for females is a pretty safe recommendation for most lifters, so we’ll stick with that”.

I’ve seen a lot of institutions recommend 37” as the safe waist cut off for white males. I’d be interested to know a bit more about why you recommend 40” rather than 37”?

I’m interested in general, but also because I’m a 235lb, 6ft man with a c39” waist and am toying with the idea of cutting to under 37” for general health reasons.

Thanks very much

John

40 is a pretty universally accepted number. The important point is that this is a general guideline and specific recommendations will depend on the person.

Thanks for the quick reply. The English NHS describes 37 as high risk and 40 as very high risk. Do you think they are just being risk averse by quoting 37? Perhaps trying to make sure there is a bit of a buffer against 40”?

For someone like me:
    - 6ft, 37yo, white male, c235lbs, 39” WC, no health conditions.
    NLP worksets on
    - squat 265lbs
    - deadlift 330lbs
    - Bench 210lbs
    - Press 135lbs

Is there a health reason for me to cut weight to get under 37”?

Or is someone like me best served by maintaining weight and just getting stronger and more muscular?

And thanks again - v much appreciated

Like most health guidelines they ignore training status, musculature, and frame size. You are probably okay at 37" but it wouldn't hurt to lose a few inches in the long-term. In the short-term it's fine to just keep getting stronger and stay under 40."

Thanks very much.

I think I’ll keep BW about the same for rest of the year and then at the start of 2021 cut until my WC is under 37”.

Hopefully I’ll be able to trim an inch or two over the rest of 2020 while keeping my bodyweight the same. Does that sound roughly feasible?

That is more than reasonable.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Robert - much appreciated