starting strength gym

Thread: Dehydration

Default Dehydration

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, I became dehydrated over the weekend. I had strung together several weeks of working in our un-air conditioned machining shop at work, moving boxes at night, taking the kids to the pool on the weekend, etc.

I didn't keep up with my water intake. It hit me pretty hard Sunday and I had to go to the Dr.

Anyways, I loaded myself with water and pedialyte the past 2 days. I am curious if there are any suggestions for getting back under the bar? I felt 90% for most of today. I had to work in the shop some and after sweating I would have to sit in the AC and drink some gatorade to recover. Nervous about jumping back into the gym too soon vs. allowing full recovery and getting back under the bar next week.

Sorry if this belongs in the "injury" forum, but it's kind of a nutritional injury

Thanks for any input!

If you have rehydrated and are eating and moving around again I can't see why you can't get back to it right away. I'd warm up, add weight, and lift something that feels right for the day then resume progress from there.

Hi Robert, thanks very much for the reply. I think the course of time answered my question. I felt like garbage yesterday but continued to pound water.

I feel great today and definitely ready to get back after it. I wasn't expecting to flip the switch so quickly and go from feeling awful to feeling great over night.

Lesson learned, dehydration is no fun. I don't think I've been hydrating properly for several weeks. I think it has been holding me back in the gym too as I've felt really wiped after my lifts. I'm lifting novice weights since I'm staring NLP. Squat is 3X5 at 125 lbs at the moment.

Anyways, I can tell I'm good to go now. Thanks for the feedback!

Sufficient hydration has more roles in this than you'd think. I get dizzy to the point of blacking out during lifts I am not well hydrated. So drink up and get plenty of electrolytes too.