starting strength gym

Thread: A question about milk drinking for 50 year old on novice programs.

Default A question about milk drinking for 50 year old on novice programs.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A question about milk drinking for 50 year old on novice programs.

Background to question
    -----------------------
    I usually work in metrics as I am from the UK.

I am 50, 94 kilos (207 pounds) and 6'1" tall (183 cm). I have an diet app which says to maintain current weight I need to consume about 3000 calories per day. My waist is 102 cm (40.5 inches) around so from reading (I think on this site) it's at the upper limit generally recommended for a guy in broad terms.

I am thinking of starting to drink 1 or 2 litres of milk per day as in "The barbell prescription" page 159 it suggest that doing GOMAD of about 1 gallon (4.54 litres) would be better for younger folk, that masters should not have such a massive coloric surplus.

1 litre (0.22 gallon) of milk has:
    https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/Product/dairy-pride-uht-skimmed-milk-1l

330 calories (33 per 100ml)
    1 gram of fat
    45 grams of carb
    35 gram of protein

I know that gaining mass will mean an increase of both muscle and fat, but I wish to reduce that expansion around my waist if possible or if not, minimise the increase.

Question
    -----------
    Could you please advise if 1 or 2 litres of milk per day would be better to gain mass, or what quantity you would recommend, while also to optimise the tension between fat gain and muscle gain?

I am already getting over 200 grams of protein in my diet per day.

Please let me know if I am on the right thought train? thanks in advance

Thought process is right but I don't think you need to drink that much milk to make progress. Do you have trouble keeping your carbohydrates between say ~250-350? You may not need to hit the top end of that range but if you are hitting your protein then the only other thing to really focus on is carbohydrate intake while minimizing fat.

HI Robert. Thanks for the quick reply. I just reviewed a typical day and realized that my carb was 222 gram.

I don't usually eat carb for dinner. So looks like I can add that in there.

Additionally, If I drank a litre of milk over the course of the day (which is easy and appealing due to its simplicity) that would give me an extra 45 grams of carb and firmly push me into the 250 to 350 grams and increase my protein an extra 35 grams closer to 250g per day.

If my maintenance calories are 2900 to 3000 per day, how much in extra calories should I shoot for in excess of that please as a general guide if I increase the carbs to 250 to 300g, ie for someone my age?

Say 3300? or More?

As in the starting strength books a caloric surplus is promoted as essential, but as a master it cannot be as much as a 20 year old.

Or am I not focusing on the right thing here?

I'd start at 3000-3300 and see what that does. See what happens under the bar and adjust up from there. Carbohydrates first, then fats

HI Robert, that makes sense, and thanks again

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome