starting strength gym

Thread: Whey protein adverse effects

Default Whey protein adverse effects

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A review of The Literature has deemed whey protein to have a plethora of adverse side effects including, but not limited to, kidney and liver function. My issues with the paper are that it states these issues are due to "chronic" and "excessive" use of WP without really defining what the parameter for these conditions are. Additionally, it glosses over the different population risks by saying that sedentary are likely to "aggravate" these conditions further. Additionally, anger was measured in bodybuilders while comparing with WP intake. For starters I cannot fathom how an emotion can be quantified accurately, and furthermore how the authors of the study didn't even mention the drugs that said bodybuilders were likely on which are a more likely culprit. I didn't read the entirety of the paper as it didn't seem worth the time and may have missed details regarding these conclusions. I linked the study below (hopefully it works). At first glance I was worried because I have to supplement quite heavily with WP due to a chaotic schedule with work and school to meet protein needs, but I'm also an intermediate lifter. Curious if anyone else saw anything useful on the subject (averse effects) of trained populations and WP supplementation in this paper or otherwise.

WPP.pdf - Google Drive

Bodybuilders are always angry. They starve for a living. Wouldn't you be pissed?

In all serious, this review is limited to 11 papers, some of which are animals. There is an abundance of research that supports the opposite conclusion. I'd have to dig into the liver and kidney papers individually to give a better critique because this write up doesn't tell us all of the details. My tentative assessment is that if you are eating 250 g/d or less and taking a protein shake or two you are probably going to be just fine unless you already have kidney disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Bodybuilders are always angry. They starve for a living. Wouldn't you be pissed?

In all serious, this review is limited to 11 papers, some of which are animals. There is an abundance of research that supports the opposite conclusion. I'd have to dig into the liver and kidney papers individually to give a better critique because this write up doesn't tell us all of the details. My tentative assessment is that if you are eating 250 g/d or less and taking a protein shake or two you are probably going to be just fine unless you already have kidney disease.
    Thanks Robert I assumed that was the case. It is remarkable how much BS and misleading information is parsed through journal and university systems and is deemed authentic. Still, good to know.

Standard deal in that business.