starting strength gym

Thread: Shingles and Overtraining.

Default Shingles and Overtraining.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    35 Male. BW 185lbs 5’9”

So I just recently switched from 5/3/1 to SS. Thought maybe I was still a novice. Numbers went up as such in two weeks:
    Squat: 265x5 to 310x5x3
    Bench: 200x5 to 210x5x3
    Press: 125x5 to 135x5x3
    Dead: 265x5 to 305x5x3
    I’ve been sleeping 8 hours minimum. Eating has been as consistent as 12 hour shifts in construction will allow. Supplementing with GOMAD.
    But I’ve been sore as hell. Not like DOMS. But fatigue and aching in my joints. And now I have a case of shingles. Not much I can do except rest and recover.
    I guess what I’m asking is, even though my numbers are going up and I haven’t missed my lifts, is it time to switch to Texas Method and try to balance my volume, intensity, and recovery instead of going for broke every workout?

How did your deadlift end up 5 lb behind your squat? Do you remember the portion of the book where Rip says to ramp the deadlift up faster than the squat when you start the program?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    How did your deadlift end up 5 lb behind your squat? Do you remember the portion of the book where Rip says to ramp the deadlift up faster than the squat when you start the program?
    With the frequency of squats, it surpassed my deadlifts because I was adding 10 lbs to each and then tapered to 5 lbs for the squat. As far as the deadlifts, I’m really grinding those reps out. Knees wobbling and going for broke on my last set of my last dead session. If I was fresh it might be another story, but seeing as how my limits are being pushed with each exercise, I don’t have enough gas in the tank to make more than 10 lb jumps.

There is another thread in the programming change forum that explains my routine a little better

It sounds like you are tired from squatting. Precisely why you weren't supposed to start with both of them at the same load and increasing them at the same rate thereafter.

I must have missed that in SS3E. In my head, if the weights were going up, add more the next workout. I was excited to push numbers up so fast, and just thought my body would adapt and eventually I would be able to handle the workload. I guess thats why it's called cumulative fatigue. Oh well. Antivirals are working and I'm healing rather quickly. Took a week off work AND working out. We'll see what next week feels like. Ordered Practical Programming and I'm going to re-read SS.
    S

Probably a good place to start. Reboot the LP and prioritize the deadlift early on when you get back in.

Finally lifted for the first time yesterday. Could barely squat 265x3x3. Did some pushups and chin ups afterwards. Going to finish this week with some much lighter squats and some body weight work. My body is much more taxed than I realized. And regression set me back.
    Going to try to reset again on Monday, taking 50 lbs off each lift. It’s frustrating, but I can’t afford to lose my health again.

Totally understand it. Just start lighter and it will ramp up just fine in good time.

starting strength coach development program
    What Coach Santana said (of course) but also: why did you do deadlifts for 3x5 not 1x5? And how often do you DL?
    I don't need the answers, but you do. That was not the NLP / YNDTP.