starting strength gym

Thread: Need to lose weight, still trying to train

Default Need to lose weight, still trying to train

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was hoping to get some advice about losing weight while training. Sorry if this repeats questions others have asked, but I couldn't get myself to go through all 5,000+ threads.

For background, I started training about two years ago (beginning numbers: Deadlift 175, Squat 135, Bench 110, Press 90), and with a few long layoffs have run through novice progressions a couple of times. My pre-COVID-19 lockdown PRs were 387 on the deadlift, 365 on squat in March 2020. At that point I was nearing the end of linear progression and starting to think about intermediate programming. The COVID-19 gym closures threw a wrench in that plan, but I was able to get a rack, bar, and 240 pounds of weight in April, so I was able to train up bench and press without too much interference. I got my bench to 227, and my press to 149. I finally found some plates for a decent price in late July, so I'm now working on getting my squats and deadlifts back up, too (currently 345 and 365, respectively). My power cleans are pretty pathetic (PR 155, currently 140)--eventually I'll pony up and get some coaching to work on that.

Until recently I was about 300 pounds bodyweight, 5'10" with a big belly and bio-impedance scale measuring about 27% bodyfat. Bloodwork came back saying testosterone was on the lower end of normal, and the endocrinologist said losing weight would the best thing to do to increase production. I have always had a hard time not eating everything in sight, so I signed up for a weight-loss program to keep me (relatively) honest. The doctor recommended losing 100 pounds, but that's more than I want to do. My goal was to try to get my weight down to around 240-250 or less, get my waist down to 40" or so, keep working on getting strong, and see if that works. The weight-loss program prescribes five "fuelings" (100 to 110 calorie company-produced bars, shakes, soups, etc., mostly with about 11g protein per item, some carbs, a little fat, plus vitamins) and one "lean and green" meal (5-7 ounces leanish protein and two servings green veggies--no starches) per day, eating every 2 or 3 hours, and having plenty of water. I modified the prescribed program so I would have two "lean and green" meals on training days, with at least one of them immediately after I train. I haven't been super strict, but after a little over a month I weigh 276, and the scale now clocks me at about 25% bodyfat. I've also dropped a little more than an inch around my waist (still big at 48").

I'm glad that my weight is dropping, but my last two sessions where I trained bench I was not able to complete the third workset at 220. Squats, deadlifts, and press are also harder than I expected them to be given my prior numbers. I'm also hungry a lot of the time, which sucks but isn't too unmanageable. Also, it looks like the rate of weight loss and waist-slimming has slowed down compared to the first few weeks.

I'd like to keep dropping weight, but wondering whether this is a good program. Do I need to be getting more calories to stay strong and either not lose weight or drop slower? Or should I just accept that my lifts are going to go down until I get to my target weight, and then start building up again after I hit the target? If I stick with the diet, should I modify my training program? Should I wait to switch to intermediate programming until after I've finished dropping weight?

Thanks!

What are the macronutrients working out to? I am unfamiliar with this program but something tells me that it is probably low carbohydrate.

I looked at the "fuelings" packaging again, and those are actually pretty balanced. A typical bar has 11 or 12 grams each of protein and carbs, plus 2 or 3 grams fat. I think the "lean and green" meals favor protein over carbs. I figure 5-7 ounces of meat has around 40 to 50 grams of protein, whereas two servings of green veggies has around 20 to 30 grams of carbs, but I could be wrong about that. Avoiding starches would mean the carbohydrates are lower than I would be eating otherwise.

What are your total macronutrients for the day?

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. A typical mix of five "fuelings" works out to about 55 grams protein, 63 grams carbs, and 14.5 grams fat. If my calculation of the "lean and green" meal is correct, it would have about 40 to 50 grams of protein, about 20 to 30 grams of carbs, and probably 5 to 10 grams fat. So if I follow the plan strictly, non-training days would have about 100 grams protein, 90 grams carbs, and 25 grams fat. On training days it would be more like 150 grams protein, 120 grams carbs, and 25 grams fat. I haven't been 100% rigid on this, but I would estimate total calories per day range from around 1000 to 1500 per day.

That is most likely too low and unnecessary. How is your adherence to that across a 7 day period? How fast are you losing weight?

Yeah, I think it probably is. I adhered pretty well at first. Not as much recently. I lost about 11 pounds the first week, and another 11 pounds over the following three weeks. Last week I lost two pounds.

I decided to at least switch it up so I have two actual meals every day—not just on training days. Would you recommend putting starches back in the mix to get more carbs? I broke down and had a couple slices of leftover pizza before my workout today (squat 365, bench 215, PC 140). Probably not the healthiest choice, but I felt like it did help me complete the work.

starting strength coach development program
    Consistency is the single most important variable to ensure diet success. Those random off meals/days will throw a wrench in your week every single time.