starting strength gym

Thread: Recovery questions

Default Recovery questions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am a 39 year old male 5'9" at 193lbs. I would estimate my body fat to be 23-25% but only a guess from online calculators. I am currently on week 3 of NLP. Not tracking real close, but calories are at to slightly above 3000 and I do make sure i get atleast 200g of protein daily. I tend to eat what I consider a decent diet. No junk food or pop. We grow alot of our own fruit and vegetables as well as kill most of our own meat. I do use whey protein, creatine, and a preworkout.

I started working out about a year ago when I hit 200lbs and realized I had a beer gut and looked like I couldnt fight my way out of a wet paper sack. By no means was I terribly fat just very unflattering standing in front of a mirror. Did mainly calesthenics for awhile and after little results were gained, started incorporating some dumbell work. That gravitated to light weight high rep barbells and dumbbells. Lost alot of fat and gained some decent muscle during this time but nothing to write home about. Day one of NLP I was at 188lbs.

I have had no struggles with NLP thus far, but I am concerned with recovery as weights go up. My current numbers are squat 195lbs 3x5, bench 175lbs 3x5, press 110lbs 3x5, and deadlift 270lbs 1x5. Planning to start power cleans today. Currently resting about 6 minutes in between sets.

My main issue is sleep and my job. I work 10 hour days 7 days a week and my job involves a good amount of physical labor. I get 5-6 hours of sleep and alot of times am woke up regularly as I have 3 young kids and 4 dogs. Work and sleep have been this way for years. I normally dont feel tired throughout the day and before SS I was working out 6 days a week. I feel like I am pretty conditioned in that regard, but SS is a totally different animal than what I was doing before.

From what I have gathered from the books, website, and the youtube channel, my lack of proper recovery could become an issue soon. As of right now I feel fine. I do get in some carbs and a preworkout drink prior to training.

Considering all things, is there any specific recommendations that I should be doing now that differ from what is layed out in the books? My plan is for NLP to run smooth and just keep adding weight without a hitch. Just trying to prevent possible future issues due to my lack of sleep and lack of the ability to rest much.

Thanks

If you don't want to get fat then pay attention to your carbohydrate:fat ratio. You will need more carbohydrates as the weight gets heavier so you'll have to start paying attention to fat as you ramp those up. I'd keep them at a minimum of 300 g/d for now though.

Thank you for the reply. I will start tracking my diet better.

You are welcome.

I started tracking my diet with the help of an app. At 3100 calories
    Carbs:386
    Protein:193
    Fat:86
    Those are the goals the app came up with. The last couple of days I have been in the low 300 carbs and around 200 protein. Fat around 75. I definitely wasnt getting enough carbs prior to your suggestion. I greatly appreciate your help!

Now close the gap and get those numbers up.

Robert, just wanted to thank you for your replies. I have been closely monitoring my diet based on your recommendations and feel I can attribute continued success to you.

Have had non china virus cold/flu for the past 2 weeks and dealing with a pinched nerve in my back from work. Though I feel like shit and hurt, I have not missed a workout and added weight like I should. Just finished week 5 today.
    Squat= 240 3x5
    Press= 130 3x5
    Bench= 200 3x5
    Deadlift= 305 1x5
    Power Clean= 140 5x3

Learning to treat my diet like another part of the program instead of just eating food to eat seems to really help me maintain my diet.

Only concern is weight gain. I was as high as 193lbs but have been bouncing between 189-191 for about a week. I am sure being sick doesnt help. 3000 calories a day has been my minimum and i do try to go as high as possible while still maintaining good macros. However, feeling like shit does make it hard to eat. I stay around 380g carbs a day, 200g protein, and fat bounces around alot, but probably average of 75g a day.
    I took many body measurements prior to starting NLP and just like my weight, nothing is changing other than i went from 44.5" to 45.5" on my chest. Visually seems like i have lost some fat around my mid section, but measurements at waist 36" (where i wear my pants) and across belly button 38" havent changed. While my legs and glutes dont measure bigger, I can see a difference. Traps and upper back look more defined as well.

Sorry for the long winded post, but trying to provide as much detail as my dumbass thinks may be relevant.

Should I be eating alot more, or just get through non china virus, maintain my diet, and back to 100% health for a better assessment?

Thanks again for your time.

starting strength coach development program
    Non china virus needs to pass and then you should start to feel better provided that you are eating this much food consistently.