starting strength gym

Thread: A book recommendation

Default A book recommendation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, I need a book on "fat diet", low-carb, keto- this kind of thing. So I thought that I ask here for a recommendation. I just don't want to buy some "energy from space" or "live 120 years on carrots and salat" bullshit.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks for help!

Please elaborate

Ok. I have a friend who I try to convince to come to the gym and get stronger. He is a cancer patient after chemo therapy. I have some coaching background in SS method so I offer myself as a guide. For some reason he don't want to train and that's OK with me - he is a big boy and i'm not his mom. But he recognize the need to loose some wheigth. Few times, you or Rip, mentiond that for non lifting individuals a keto diet could be a good option, because of its ability to suppress hunger.

So I started to dig the Internet and came across some disturbing information. The kind of information that book authors use on their lectures to grow the sales of their products. For example

- Keto diet cures/stops/reverse growth of cancer cells
    - Keto diet is a our natural diet because our ancestors where extremely healthy and everything went to hell as soon as we started to grow grain
    - WHO (they recommend eating whole grain as healthy food and limit animal food to a minimum) works for NWO and their plan is to depopulate the Earth with roundup and GMO food

So I want to avoid this kind of bullshit and buy him good book as a reliable source of knowledge.

Is this make any more sense now ?

Try 'The Vertical Diet' by Stan Efferding;

The Vertical Diet & Peak Performance 3.0 eBook | Stanefferding.com

Also, check out his chat with Rip on the SS podcast;

Getting Vertical with Stan Efferding | Starting Strength Radio #21

Ah yes got it. Sea of nonsense. My go to is:

Renaissance Periodization | The Renaissance Diet 2.0 - EBOOK

Also check out the nutrition position papers shared on this thread. I've also done various nutrition podcasts with Rip as has Stan Efferding.

Thanks. I will look into it.

Yes, I've watched all of your podcasts at SS Radio. Good info, I appreciate it.

By the way, when I was still active as a coach, I was a subscriber to Alan Aragon research review. I'm just curious if you know the guy and what you think about his work ? He seemed to me to be a reliable source of knowledge.

I’ll get the book based on your recommendation, but I’m still looking for the NLP book from Coach Santana

Quote Originally Posted by Szymon View Post
    Thanks. I will look into it.

Yes, I've watched all of your podcasts at SS Radio. Good info, I appreciate it.

By the way, when I was still active as a coach, I was a subscriber to Alan Aragon research review. I'm just curious if you know the guy and what you think about his work ? He seemed to me to be a reliable source of knowledge.
    Glad you liked them. Alan has mostly good information but he spends too much time worrying about keyboard warriors. Seems to be the trend in the business these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_tiger View Post
    I’ll get the book based on your recommendation, but I’m still looking for the NLP book from Coach Santana
    It's coming along and will be released when it is ready.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Reid View Post
    Try 'The Vertical Diet' by Stan Efferding;

The Vertical Diet & Peak Performance 3.0 eBook | Stanefferding.com

Also, check out his chat with Rip on the SS podcast;

Getting Vertical with Stan Efferding | Starting Strength Radio #21

Unfortunately, I haven't seen these books but I have Vertical Diet Cook Book. This book is amazing. It helped me become interested in cooking and make better food choices.