starting strength gym

Thread: Raw v. Pasteurized Milk

Default Raw v. Pasteurized Milk

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mr. Santana,

Advocates of drinking raw or unhomogenized milk say that it is easier to digest, contains more nutrients, enzymes, and probiotics than its pasteurized counterpart, but it is obviously more susceptible to containing bacteria that causes foodborne illness. Are advocates of drinking raw milk [s] full of shit [/s] - lacking sufficient evidence for their claims - or did the FDA really pull a fast one on us?

Real Milk is a cool website that campaigns for the legalization (I can't believe this is a thing) of raw milk in state legislatures throughout the country (47 down, apparently) and has a lot of doctors that opine on the health risks and benefits of drinking raw milk. From what they claim, it seems to come down to the fact that if farmers treat their cows right, markets store milk correctly, and customers keep it cool and drink it within a couple weeks, everybody will be fine most of the time.

Is it time for a GORMAD?

My position is that, like most raw foods, if the production is sanitary and if the buyer himself is continues with sanitary practices, the risk of foodborne illness is lower than the alternative. Same deal with sushi and steak cooked rare. Shop wisely and do your due diligence, but also understand that a risk greater than zero remains.

What about the standard opinion that the diet of the average American is varied enough that obscure food sources are unlikely to contribute anything of significance to overall health?

I work on a farm with cows. For the past 5 years I drink about 1-1,5 liter of milk per day. Raw milk, sometimes still warm from the cow.

Zero problem.

It is 5% fat and the best part is when you let it stand for one day, most of the fat comes to the top. You take a spoon and gently take the fat from its surface - delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
    What about the standard opinion that the diet of the average American is varied enough that obscure food sources are unlikely to contribute anything of significance to overall health?
    I could get on board with this except that the Average American eats poorly.

Tried the raw milk thing. Didn’t go so well. Nothing wrong with good old pasteurised milk and no need to play Russian roulette with raw stuff. It’s like the fads with grass fed, organic meat, its not necessary and costs far too much.

I thought it was pretty damned good when I had it

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I thought it was pretty damned good when I had it
    So did I.