starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition advice for 45 year old novice

Default Nutrition advice for 45 year old novice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert

I’m 45 years old, 5ft 7 and started NLP at 169lb and 4 months later am at 185lb. I asked Rip a related question re my press failing and he pointed me to the first three questions article, but as a masters lifter should I be really take on all those calories? Currently I take in approximately 3000 calories, do I need to eat more? In the barbell prescription there are colourful words about excessive calories turning into ear hair and extra blubber, so I guess I really need to know what is appropriate for a masters lifter like me (with the stats provided above). Also in Feb I had my gallbladder out so have tried to be careful with my fat intake.

Your advice would be appreciated even if only as a rough guide for my demographic.

How are those calories distributed?

Hi Robert, 3000 calories per day generally 200 grams of protein, 300 or so grams of carbs and 100 grams of fat. These macros fluctuate either way by 10-20 grams per day. I’m a busy Dad of 3 boys holding down a full time job so strict meal planning is generally out of the question. Lunch at work usually consists of left overs from dinner although I do supplement with a 30g whey protein supplement 2-3 times per day and try to up my protein intake by snacking on tuna and Greek yoghurt.

If your carbohydrates and protein are staying in that ballpark, that should be a good start. You can try more and see what happens though if you are tapping out under the bar. How strong are you and how are you programming yourself?

Thanks Robert, Squat is currently 240lb, Deadlift is 291lb, bench is 147lb, press (the worst of my lifts) is 78lb, although I have reset this once because I got greedy with the jumps and crapped out. 101lb on power Clean. 4 months into NLP, training 3x per week at 530am. Standard stage 2 of NLP at the moment with deadlift and clean alternating. Planning on moving to stage 3 with the chin ups in about a months time. Have missed 5 sessions due to life stuff, kids etc. I have no athletic background and was always the nerdy skinny fat kid who got picked last for team sports at school. On the up side that means I have no old injuries from a youth of athletic prowess! Am also on TRT (real TRT as opposed to juicy vitamins). Hope this helps.

You should have absolutely no problem progressing those lifts. Get the chins in now no sense in waiting there. They will help the other lifts especially the press.

That’s great thanks Robert. I should also mention that I’m using My Fitness Pal to track calories and macros (it’s always a ball park figure but better than nothing). I guess my main concern was that I couldn’t seem to progress my press past 92lb, but I’m creeping back to that total with smaller increments and really trying to improve my form by rereading the book sections, articles and watching the videos.

Video? How big are your jumps?

Hi Robert

Here’s the video. At present 36kg press. I’m going up by 0.5 kilos at the moment.

Press 5x3x36kg - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    It's private. You'll have to make it public for me to view.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast