starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Organic meat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I will say that the Trader Joe's extra lean ground beef tastes significantly better than other commercially available brands and the quality is quite consistent. That said, I recently discovered a local butcher who sells me raw meat for my dog and I have since moved to buying my ground beef there.
    Yeh I find a good butcher cuts you good deals when they realise you are a good customer. The ends of a cut of steak for instance are not exactly the shape most people want a steak but I'll take a weird shaped fillet or Ribeye for half price.

The source of the meat probably dictates taste to a greater extent to whether it's organic or not for reasons that you described.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    As for GMO, I was referring to animals that are given growth hormones (steroids) to enhance their size and weight, especially in chickens where the breasts might be nice and big, but most of the time they're dry, tough, and pretty bland taste. For beef, it's the taste of the fats especially in ground meat where I notice a difference in the taste, with the "enhanced" cows having a noticeable and to me unpleasant aftertaste I don't get from naturally raised and bred cattle.
    GMO=genetically modified organism. This has a specific definition, and many people choose to avoid GMOs. Again, this is a philosophical/political choice, as there is no evidence (yet?) of health benefits or harms from eating GMOs. Also, there are no hormones or steroids used in the raising of poultry, at least by US law. The differences you notice are probably due to the feed and lifestyle, or perhaps heritage, of the chickens you eat. The most widespread use of hormones in livestock is rBGH used to increase milk production in dairy cows. This would not be helpful in chickens, as they don't produce milk, given that they don't actually have breasts. They are bred to have those big muscles that are sold as "breasts," but if you attempt to milk a chicken, you will only succeed at annoying the chicken.

I'm only have experience with chickens. For my taste, it's not a matter of organic vs non-organic, but rather how they were raised. Chickens that lived in grass, even if they're the fast growing hybrids, tastes better and the meat feels firmer. Having said that, beware the heritage birds, some of them can be tough, scrawny and as much bone as meat.

Never cared for chicken in general. Wild game is better although pricier

I find this area of the forum really helpful. I saw another thread where you mentioned a book is coming, that is great, I will buy it. I hope you can put in some recipes for wild game too.

Most definitely will do that. May be a separate book for recipes

If you're paying more than a tiny little processing fee, you're doing it wrong. That is, you have the wrong friends. Good hunters will hook you up with meat for you and special "toys" for the pup.

Most definitely will do that. May be a separate book for recipes
    That would be great.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    If you're paying more than a tiny little processing fee, you're doing it wrong. That is, you have the wrong friends. Good hunters will hook you up with meat for you and special "toys" for the pup.
    I need these friends

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast