starting strength gym

Thread: Fasting

Default Fasting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A question for you Mr. Santana,

My wife (not a lifter) is finishing up a 40 day liquid only fast and for the last several months has been asking me to participate with her in the future as she plans to do shorter daytime fasting. The fasting is intended to be for religious reasons. Apparently during the time of King David the people fasted on Wednesdays and Fridays (or maybe it was Thursdays). Up to this point I have simply told her no, but it got me thinking that I should probably ask about it.

Anyway, bottom line is that I would like to show my support and participate but not at the expense of my training. She felt like it would be ok if I drank water with dissolvable macros, so I could do flavorless whey in water along with cornstarch or something and then have a nice big meal in the evening.

I'm not currently tracking my calories since I've been consistently at 220 for the last 6 months and I have not been forcing myself to eat so that is pretty stable. I tend to wolf down tons of food on training days and then on my off days I don't always eat very much though I make it a point to have a good meal before bed on my off days. My coach moved me to intermediate training at the end of August. It's been going good so far.

Do you think liquid only macros the day before my light day and the day before intensity day would tank my recovery?

If you can drink 100% of your calories on those days then go for it. I would probably plan training days on days that you can eat though.

Makes sense to me. Thank you! Guess I'm out of excuses.

You are welcome