starting strength gym

Thread: NLP Starting calories & macro values?

Default NLP Starting calories & macro values?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a 52 year old 193lb 6-foot tall male, on my 3rd attempt at the novice linear progression (last two de-railed from time off from illness, and from an intercostal sprain injury from wearing belt too high). Before I started lifting I was around 180lb.

What should my starting calorie consumption & macronutrient values be for the novice stage?

In the blue book it says between 3500-6000 and around 200g protein, but just curious if there were more exact numbers I should shot for given my age/height/weight. This time around I'm going to actually track macros & calories so interested in a starting point.

My current numbers:
    Squat: 225
    Dealift: 270
    Bench: 140
    Press: 90

Last time around I got my squat around 275 and then started to plateau - I think it was YNDP of inadequate diet & not enough sleep, so this time I want to at leas dial in the nutrition part correctly. Thanks!

You only figure out exact numbers by starting with the general numbers and tracking your lifts, bodyweight, and waist circumference. Based on how those numbers change, especially your lifts, you can adjust and fine tune from there. 3500 is a good start for a guy your size lifting what you are lifting.

Hello, I am 6'4'' 220lbs and I wonder if I eat enough at 3300kcal/day and 180-230g of high quality protein a day. The book suggests 4000kcal but I have slightly under 20% bodyfat already and I am genuinely unsure about whether or not to go north of my number. My lifts are going up though I have only trained for 2 weeks and I still am able to make 5lbs jumps on my press. I just worry that I don't eat enough. I don't particularly care about staying under 20% bf.

My first observation is that last time through the NLP I definitely wasn't eating enough, and for sure not enough carbohydrates.

Three days into 3,500 calorie intake where I'm actually tracking macros & I'm amazed how much more carbs it takes to get there. I had gotten used to a default carbohydrate restricted diet to stay thin over the last few years so it really did take tracking (myfitnesspal) to get the right amount for gaining weight & getting stronger. It's actually almost difficult to eat enough carbs even adding rice/legumes with each meal.

I'm still trying to avoid processed starches in general (bread/pasta) but eating some here and there to make up the difference.

Thanks for the advice Robert, super-helpfull. I've been enjoying the podcast with you & Rip as well, always funny & informative.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_n View Post
    My first observation is that last time through the NLP I definitely wasn't eating enough, and for sure not enough carbohydrates.

Three days into 3,500 calorie intake where I'm actually tracking macros & I'm amazed how much more carbs it takes to get there. I had gotten used to a default carbohydrate restricted diet to stay thin over the last few years so it really did take tracking (myfitnesspal) to get the right amount for gaining weight & getting stronger. It's actually almost difficult to eat enough carbs even adding rice/legumes with each meal.

I'm still trying to avoid processed starches in general (bread/pasta) but eating some here and there to make up the difference.

Thanks for the advice Robert, super-helpfull. I've been enjoying the podcast with you & Rip as well, always funny & informative.
    You are very welcome. The carbohydrate consumption is the real work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    Hello, I am 6'4'' 220lbs and I wonder if I eat enough at 3300kcal/day and 180-230g of high quality protein a day. The book suggests 4000kcal but I have slightly under 20% bodyfat already and I am genuinely unsure about whether or not to go north of my number. My lifts are going up though I have only trained for 2 weeks and I still am able to make 5lbs jumps on my press. I just worry that I don't eat enough. I don't particularly care about staying under 20% bf.
    It will need to go over 4000 at some point but if you are doing fine on less keep it going until you can't.