starting strength gym

Thread: Robert, a question about this protein 'shake'

Default Robert, a question about this protein 'shake'

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Chocolate High Protein Shake 42g | fairlife Core Power ELITE Milk Shakes

I have looked at the ingredient list and there's no extra protein listed, but it has 42 grams. These were BOGO at the grocery store, so I loaded up on the 42g ones.

How can 8oz of milk have so high a protein profile? They have vanilla flavor also, and like the chocolate, no extra protein is listed on the ingredient list.

It is filtrated. Manufacturing proces is similar to one that gets you 30% fat cream. They did the same but with protein.

Your question was asked in the FAQ on the website. They "concentrate both protein and calcium" by some unique milk filtration process. Their answer, not mine:

It comes directly from fresh milk! We ultra-filter real milk to concentrate the naturally occurring protein and calcium. So we never need to add protein or calcium powders – it’s already in the milk!

We do not add additional proteins of any kind. The proteins found in fairlife ultra-filtered milk reflect the natural whey and casein proteins found in milk: 80% casein and 20% whey. These are concentrated through the ultra-filtration process.

I have no idea what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Chocolate High Protein Shake 42g | fairlife Core Power ELITE Milk Shakes

I have looked at the ingredient list and there's no extra protein listed, but it has 42 grams. These were BOGO at the grocery store, so I loaded up on the 42g ones.

How can 8oz of milk have so high a protein profile? They have vanilla flavor also, and like the chocolate, no extra protein is listed on the ingredient list.
    It looks like my response didn't show up. I believe that filtration and additional whey would be the reason.

Thank you, everyone. Obviously, I didn't read the FAQ close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    It looks like my response didn't show up. I believe that filtration and additional whey would be the reason.
    yes, my interpretation is that basically they take out some water, leaving a more concentrated milk. I've had their shakes on occasion, and found them tasty. Some of the packaged shakes have a metallic or medicinal taste for me, maybe due to preservatives or packaging, but the Fairlife ones have been OK.

That makes sense. It's pretty good stuff, I grab it on the road all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    That makes sense. It's pretty good stuff, I grab it on the road all of the time.
    Dude, I followed your lat pulldown protocol for about a month and a half. Got up to my body weight, which is a nice 235 and I can do four chin ups now. Sweet stuff. Sorry for the thread hijacking.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Dude, I followed your lat pulldown protocol for about a month and a half. Got up to my body weight, which is a nice 235 and I can do four chin ups now. Sweet stuff. Sorry for the thread hijacking.
    Glad it worked. I wish others would believe how simple it is. It really is quite simple.