starting strength gym

Thread: late NLP--signs of overtraining?

Default late NLP--signs of overtraining?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I am coming back from a layoff and running through the LP, feeling run down and wondering if it is overtraining.

male
    age 49
    bodyweight ~270
    height 6'6"
    squat 310 3x5 (3 sets of 5)
    bench 247 3x5
    press--was 155 3x5, wheels came off trying to hit 157, now trying to master the 2.0 form and have dropped weight back--145 3x3 last time
    dead 395 1x5
    chinups--3-4x6 on a home chinup bar on off days.

My all-time PR's are squat 320 and dead 410, with probably some NLP left to go. So I am close to as strong as I have ever been. However, I have gained about 15 lbs of quarantine fluff since then.

Lately I have been feeling tired, having a harder time doing difficult mental work, and most notably my libido is down. Also having a little achiness in my elbows--not tendinitis, but in the joint itself. Not enough to worry about except as a possible further sign of overtraining.

Regarding the first 3 questions: I am taking at least 7 minutes of rest between sets although I do try to speed the workouts up by doing warmups for one movement in between work sets of another. I am making 5lb jumps on the squat and deadlift and 2-3lb jumps on the press and bench. I get about 7-8 hours of sleep and do what I can to keep my sleep quality good, although I do go to bed around midnight typically. And I need maybe more sleep than average--I am not one of those people who can run on 6.

Because of the quarantine fluff, I haven't been eating to gain weight, though I am trying to get quite a bit of protein (sorry never been good at tracking macros).

When I did the NLP in the past I trained on-off-on-off-off-on-off, etc. But due to my gym's restricted hours I have been training more or less m-w-f, so more frequently than I did.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Tom

You are approaching your PRs. Probably time to start eating more, specifically carbohydrates to start.