starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My growing list of food allergies and carbs

Default My growing list of food allergies and carbs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Over the last three years I’ve gone through phases of feeling like absolute dog shit; lots of joint pain, headaches, and feeling lethargic. Through elimination I’ve found that wheat is a big cause for this and have been mostly gluten free for two years. Recently I’ve noticed the same symptoms except with rice. Since I’ve stopped eating gluten I’ve been eating tons of rice so maybe that caused a new sensitivity, but im not gonna eat it anymore due to how badly it makes me feel. What would be some good slow digesting carb sources I can use other than sweet potatoes which are basically all I eat now? Also, is developing food sensitivities as an adult (I’m 29) common?

It can happen, i'm not sure how common it is. Can you tolerate oats? Legumes? Fruits?

Some fruit and I try to always have an apple and Gatorade before workouts which has helped a ton, more so the slow digesting ones have been giving me problems. I’ll give oats a try and didn’t even consider legumes so I’ll try that as well. Thanks for the help Santana

You are very welcome. Is it possible that you have IBS?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You are very welcome. Is it possible that you have IBS?
    I’ve never been to a gastroenterologist, but my symptoms aren’t your typical digestive issues. Instead it’s aches in my hands, forearms, shins and feet mostly; it also can be headaches. I’ve narrowed it down a bit to a few things that really flair it up: wraps, bread, pasta but even gluten free so maybe something with the sauce, taco seasoning, and now rice. I had a food sensitivity test done two years ago but some of my most sensitive foods such as apples and casein don’t cause any pain or digestive issues, where wheat is relatively low on the scale but I know for a fact right after I eat a sandwich or pizza I will start hurting.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    Over the last three years I’ve gone through phases of feeling like absolute dog shit; lots of joint pain, headaches, and feeling lethargic. Through elimination I’ve found that wheat is a big cause for this and have been mostly gluten free for two years. Recently I’ve noticed the same symptoms except with rice. Since I’ve stopped eating gluten I’ve been eating tons of rice so maybe that caused a new sensitivity, but im not gonna eat it anymore due to how badly it makes me feel. What would be some good slow digesting carb sources I can use other than sweet potatoes which are basically all I eat now? Also, is developing food sensitivities as an adult (I’m 29) common?
    Have you checked your T?

Quinoa is an alternative. Have you tried brown rice or just white rice?

I’ve never been to a gastroenterologist, but my symptoms aren’t your typical digestive issues. Instead it’s aches in my hands, forearms, shins and feet mostly; it also can be headaches. I’ve narrowed it down a bit to a few things that really flair it up: wraps, bread, pasta but even gluten free so maybe something with the sauce, taco seasoning, and now rice. I had a food sensitivity test done two years ago but some of my most sensitive foods such as apples and casein don’t cause any pain or digestive issues, where wheat is relatively low on the scale but I know for a fact right after I eat a sandwich or pizza I will start hurting.
    Sounds like some sort of acute inflammatory response. My general advice here is to start by eliminating all foods on that list then slowly reintroducing the least risky items. It sounds like you've done a version of this so just keep building on that until you identify what works for you and what does not. This is the sort of thing that varies from person to person so I don't have a one-size-fits all solution here unfortunately.

Dont forget you need to wash rice, if you're eating loads of it especially.

My mother has a very similar issue with grains. Wheat and corn are the worst for her, I believe.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Ohanian View Post
    Have you checked your T?

Quinoa is an alternative. Have you tried brown rice or just white rice?
    I had my T levels checked in 2016 and 2018 at age 25 and 27. I started to notice my food allergies in mid 2018. My results were:
    2016 free T 149 ng/dl and total 581
    2018 free T 94 ng/dl and total 497
    I also began hypothyroid treatment in 2018 and have been taking it ever since.

I’ve only been eating brown rice actually, but I will give quinoa a try as well. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Sounds like some sort of acute inflammatory response. My general advice here is to start by eliminating all foods on that list then slowly reintroducing the least risky items. It sounds like you've done a version of this so just keep building on that until you identify what works for you and what does not. This is the sort of thing that varies from person to person so I don't have a one-size-fits all solution here unfortunately.
    Will do, I need to be more strict about it because it doesn’t seem as simple as only gluten unfortunately. I tried some steel cut oats and felt fine so that and sweet potatoes could be a good source. I also am going to try quinoa as Sebastian recommended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast