starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition label for frozen breaded chicken seems too good to be true

Default Nutrition label for frozen breaded chicken seems too good to be true

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Good morning,

I haven't posted on here in a while, but I'm in the process of re-running LP, currently at a 245 lb. squat with my other lifts at relatively equivalent levels. Unfortunately I have very high fat (bodyweight around 260 lbs.) so obviously I need to address that. (Age is 39.)

To help meet my protein needs I used to buy frozen grilled chicken strips from Costco, but the last couple of times I went they didn't seem to be selling it anymore. So I started browsing though the alternatives, most of which had much higher fat than the grilled strips did. Eventually I found bags of breaded chicken that claimed 16 grams of protein against 6 grams of fat. That seemed like a really good profile, better than 90/10 ground beef, so I bought a bunch.

I got home and warmed some up, and it did not taste like a low fat food at all. I've struggled with my weight long enough to know what high protein, low fat foods taste like. The dryness, the difficulty in swallowing it, all that stuff. This chicken had none of that, it was almost like eating McDonalds's nuggets. As much as I wish the label was accurate, and that I found some magically palatable low-fat protein source, my honest guess here is that the chicken actually has roughly twice the fat its claiming, around 12g per serving. I don't know if there's some weird FDA rules about how these macronutrients are measured in processed foods that allow something like this, but either way, I just can't believe it's true, so I think I'm just going to move on to something else.

Just wondering if anyone has run into this issue with labels. Also, has anyone gone through the trouble of sending food to a lab to get tested? I'd be curious if it's practical to do that as I'd be very interested to find out exactly how much fat this chicken has.

You might be overthinking this. They likely salted it up and/or added some sort of seasoning or additive. I doubt that it was that much higher in fat than what was listed.

What's the food/chicken/brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You might be overthinking this. They likely salted it up and/or added some sort of seasoning or additive. I doubt that it was that much higher in fat than what was listed.
    Thanks Coach. If the label is accurate do you think that's a good source of protein for a guy trying to manage body fat while re-running LP? It occurred to me that even 6g of fat might be too much.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    What's the food/chicken/brand?
    Just Bare brand. Lightly breaded chicken breast chunks
    Lightly Breaded Chicken Breast Chunks - Just BARE Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Thank you sir. Just happen to be at my Publix down the street. I can forsee a fight between my kids and me, though.........

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Thanks Coach. If the label is accurate do you think that's a good source of protein for a guy trying to manage body fat while re-running LP? It occurred to me that even 6g of fat might be too much.

I think it is a pretty decent amount of protein if you are honest with the portion size. Note that 3 oz is not that big of a portion so it's pretty dense in fat. If you were to go for 32 grams of protein you'd get 12 grams of fat. Not terrible and can certainly be worked around. Much better than McDonald's or KFC

Got it, thanks coach.

You are welcome

I will confirm that these nuggets are, uh, awesome.

starting strength coach development program
    I'll be trying these myself soon.