starting strength gym

Thread: concerned about soy milk

Default concerned about soy milk

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert,

I am a 33 year old male trying to gain some more weight on a bulking phase; I'm currently 174, going for 180-185;

I am trying to up my carbs, I've found that if I add cereals in the morning with some soy milk, I can add a lot of carbs this way

I cannot tolerate normal milk, but I am a bit concerned about the soy, as there are mixed views on it; is 400-500 ml of soy milk a day going to have a detrimental effect on my hormone levels; at what amount has there been shown that soy products will affect your hormone levels?;

Thanks!

Unlikely to impact your hormone levels. Do you just have an issue with milk or is cheese and yogurt a problem as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Unlikely to impact your hormone levels. Do you just have an issue with milk or is cheese and yogurt a problem as well?
    Matured cheese I can tolerate pretty good, but yogurt and milk, not really

How about Kefir or Skyr?

How about Kefir or Skyr?
    kefir also a yes, don't know what skyr is;

I also seem to have a problem with my whey protein isolate, after i drink it, it feels awkward on my digestion, sometime I get diarrhea, can't figure out if it's the lactose or the artificial flavoring that's to blame

I will try a carnivore protein, for some time, and then some whey isolate unflavored, see if that helps

Skyr is Icelandic yogurt.

throw some kefir in. Egg white protein powder works good. Does the WPI intolerance occur with unflavored WPI?

Skyr is Icelandic yogurt.

throw some kefir in. Egg white protein powder works good. Does the WPI intolerance occur with unflavored WPI?
    I currently only have flavored WPI; I will buy some unflavored and see if there is any difference;

If it's the same with the unflavored should I consider a soy protein isolate?; I don't really like the brown rice or pea protein, I've tried them and I don't like the taste at all; would 300-400 ml of soy drink and 40-50 g of soy protein isolate be to much soy a day?

starting strength coach development program
    If the issue persists try out beef protein concentrate and see how that works. I'm not a fan of soy but it can work if all else fails.