starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help An Idiot Sandwich (Avoid Developing Pocrescophobia)

Default Help An Idiot Sandwich (Avoid Developing Pocrescophobia)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello guys! I apologize if there’s a problem with my post, I attempted to use the search function, but found no post similar enough to satisfy my question.

Age/Sex: 30 M
    Current Weight/Height/BF%: 227lb, 6ft, around 28% BF
    Calories/Macros: I was eating 2500 calories, 225g Protein, I’d eat ~100-120g Carbs para workout, then split the remaining calories between fats and carbs, eating whichever I thought I was craving more.
    Training History: Dip Shittery for 5 years. Always tried to do some form of 5x5. Never went to a coach, tried watching videos from various people. Played Softball. Injured myself a couple of times, once a 3rd degree ligament tear in my right ankle (Thanks to proper squats, I’ve gotten that flexibility back). Kept setting myself back because I’m retarded and prideful. I did go from 330lb and 45-50% BF to where I’m at now. A couple months ago, I buckled down and read/watched how to not be a tard from Rip and finally started making real progress. My squat stalled at 175 because I wasn’t putting the bar low enough, not driving with the hips, and developed that tennis elbow crap. Re-watched Rip explaining the squat, read the App entries on it a few times over, reset to 135 and boom. Now I only have a minute amount of pain that has been dwindling over time.

Last Successful Workout Weights:
    Squat: 250lb
    Press: 120lb
    Deadlift: 325lb
    Bench: 195lb
    Power Clean: 150lb
    Chinup: 1, Tubby tubby

My question is this:
    I’ve really been all over the place with calories, thinking I’m eating too much at times, and too little at other times. Over the past 8 years, I’ve eaten at 1750 for a while, I’ve upped it to 2500, then 3000, then 2500, right now, I’m eating 2250. How many calories should I actually be eating, and, (I think this part is the key info that I need) what should I realistically be expecting with that amount of calories? I’ve been a phatass since high school, and I’m tired of it. I’m developing an unhealthy relationship with caloric deficit, I think, and it’s causing me to fail in sticking to the plan because I don’t think I’m losing fat as fast as I should be. I DID read through To Be A Beast, that’s when I started 2500 calories again (2 months ago) and the scale fluctuated between 225-230, the average increasing towards the 230lb number. I was thinking I was supposed to be losing 1.5lb a week? This might be where I get flamed, I’ve seen a MINUTE amount of muscled definition, however my tape measure says my fat is staying where it’s at. Progress pics will make you go “Nah, dude, don’t use the before pic you took yesterday, use one from 2 months ago!” Don’t believe me? I’ll post the pics, I’ll fuqqin do it, bro, don’t test me!

I know the program isn’t built for fat loss, that’s why I walk for about 30m-1 hour 6 days out of the week. I’m fine with slower progression, it’s my fault for being a fat fuq.

Extra info: I eat clean. I eat lots of different meats, my carbs come from veggies, potatoes, or white/jasmin rice. My fats come from the meat/olive oil/dairy. I just about never drink alcohol (because calories). I’ve decided to have a change of occupation and am finishing my degree next semester and applying to be a Texas State Trooper next year, so I really need to lose about 20lb of this fat I don’t need poppin’ abs, I just don’t want all this damned fat. I’m blessed to have been able to make enough money trading stocks to not need a job while doing school. My wife is also very supportive (“Get your fatass in the gym” etc, etc). In all seriousness, she knows how important this is to me and has given me complete freedom to get there. Assume I’m a no-life.
    This past week, I worked out on Monday, woke up Tuesday and felt like a lethargic shit (I fell asleep several times throughout the day wednesday) until thursday (I had to stop my workout, because while I felt awake, I just could NOT do more than 2 reps on anything, and I was trying to go ham). First time that’s happened on SS from starting 2 months ago. I just got back from a hunting trip this past weekend and it seems like a good time to re-evaluate.

You are at a good height and weight and have now lost all of the necessary body fat. I would start by eating 3000 calories, 200 grams of protein, 350 grams of carbohydrates, and the remaining calories from fat. This is outlined in my articles. Have you read them? Second, I would not expect much muscle definition with those numbers. Get the your 5RMS to 405/315/225/135 for starters and you should see a change in your muscle appearance. You have developed an unhealthy relationship with food as it happens when you cut calories for too long and have a history of obesity. This will require some mental exercise in addition to physical. I'm not psychologist but when my brain has went off the deep end after aggressive cuts I have to practice telling myself to stop giving a fuck, it's the starvation talking, and at some point I do. Never underestimate the role of calorie cutting in making you insane and body dysmorphic.

Thanks for the response!

I actually have read a couple of your articles. It's just terrifying to eat that much. I guess I should have mentioned in the past 7 years I went from 325-330 to 183 back up to 255 to 227 now.

I'm think at 3000 calories a day, I'll see my weight skyrocket from 227 to 235+ within a week, then 240+ the next week and so on.

What should I be expecting at 3000 a day? I think that's the biggest detriment to my progress. I don't know how to check if I'm on track. I freak out and try and change something.

It's not that much food for a man your size. Just don't eat 3000 Monday-Friday and 5000 on Saturday and Sunday like most people do.

Thanks again! I've switched to 3000, I'll just stay off the scale for a month.

That is a good idea. Your brain needs to unplug from it.

Care to update us on the how its going ? I'm kind of in a similar situation except Im smaller than you at 5' 8" 175 pounds with about Same lift numbers at around 24 percent body fat. But I'm trying to hit better number and want to maybe compete (just for fun in 74kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by shayan.givehchian View Post
    Care to update us on the how its going ? I'm kind of in a similar situation except Im smaller than you at 5' 8" 175 pounds with about Same lift numbers at around 24 percent body fat. But I'm trying to hit better number and want to maybe compete (just for fun in 74kg class)
    I did that once too. It doesn't end well. Guys in that class are 5'4"

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I did that once too. It doesn't end well. Guys in that class are 5'4"
    I heard somewhere that weight classes are really height classes in disguise.

starting strength coach development program
    Well I'm at a pretty fat 78 kg now and probably will be even fatter at 83 kg since I used to be 88kg super chubby all my teens then I cut down on keto down to a soft 69kg then really got into strength training and have been hovering around 75 for a while eating regular doetMy weight goes up really fast if I eat more than 2600 cals and its not quality weight and don't get much stronger. My most comfortable weight for minting is at about 75 to 77 and I hate it when I go beyond that feel super sluggish. At the moment I'm trying to eat about 2300 cals with about 180grams protein a day and get my body fat from around 24% down to around 18% but keep the weight the same.
    Any tips on how to achieve that without getting fat and losing strength ? Or any other tips you might have i really appreciate it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast