starting strength gym

Thread: Hitting Caloric Goals Consistently

Default Hitting Caloric Goals Consistently

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Robert,

Since I have started strength training I have struggled with maintaining my total caloric and protein intake. I am currently 6'2 and 250 lbs (+-5 lbs on any given day). I was 180-185 pounds and a runner prior to training. I would estimate that it took about 10-14 months to reach my current body composition. While I was rapidly gaining mass I consumed anywhere between 4000-6000 calories nearly every day. I know this to a fair degree of accuracy because I painstakingly home cooked and weighed all of my food and logged nearly every meal in the Cronometer app on Android. Likewise, I only ate out at places that had their full nutrition info available. Doing this was a total pain in the ass, but it worked. Without making a concerted effort to eat more I have found that I naturally eat around 2000 calories a day. Anything beyond the initial 2000 requires that I maintain my logs and systematically plan my meals. The next 2-4K calories are not enjoyable to consume, but I can manage it if I treat it like a training session. I also find that the more I eat the more slowly I have to eat with each successive meal. Once I start approaching my 6000 calorie ceiling it might take me a couple of hours to eat the last 1000-1500 calories. I have tried eating many more smaller meals, but that did not seem to work any better. There were some days that the forced eating completely killed my appetite. About every two to three weeks I would have a day where I barely broke 1000 calories.

Now that I am no longer restricted to gyms for my training I am finally able to focus on progressing again. Upon returning I have noticed that I was able to increase my poundage on a diet of approximately 2500-3000 calories, but the increases were far more difficult than if I had been eating 4000+. As of today I have started logging my food again. I would appreciate any advice to make this more manageable than it was the first go-round. For the record my ratio of protein consumption has been fairly consistent (about 1g per lb of body weight).

How did your macros breakdown??