starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Constipation on carnivore diet

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    I never found psillium husk useful. I agree it seems it should work in theory but in practice it fell short. As for micro nutrients, I don't follow. It is missing Vit C, fiber (the issue here), and a host of antioxidant flavonoids. I get using it to drop weight but now that that has happened it really seems you need to get back to a sustainably healthy way of eating.
    Yes that's true, I should have been more specific. It is definitely missing the Vit C and fibre, but it is pretty densely packed with many other good things. The likes of Stan Efferding and Mark Bell go into great depth about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    I meant the op...
    Not trolling, 100% serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    Do some training then?
    Would be ideal but very difficult for me to remain consistent. Last week for example I was working up to 15hrs a day. It's not always like that, but it's up and down, hours vary a lot and it makes it hard for me to build the habit. By combining fasting with my diet, be it carnivore or something else, life doesn't seem to get in the way, it's relatively "easy" to remain consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You can do that without cutting carbs and fiber
    Agreed. However any change I implement would result in more calories or less protein. Aside from having a routine in place already, I would like to see this out a little longer for experimental reasons. I get dexa scans done periodically and would like to see what effects high protein has while in a calorie deficit over time.

I can see I'm getting some pretty strong reactions here. Just to clarify, I'm not intentionally trying to upset anyone! I actually searched the forum on the topic before putting the thread up and noted a post by yourself Robert as saying the carnivore diet was good for a fat sedentary individual looking to lose weight. Didn't seem to be said in jest at the time. Appologies if I've misinterpreted that.

Thanks again guys.

How high is your protein? You don't need 300 grams of protein to hold onto muscle. You do need more carbohydrates to train though.

How high is your protein? You don't need 300 grams of protein to hold onto muscle. You do need more carbohydrates to train though.
    Protein is around 300g. Based on 1g per lb bodyweight (I'm just shy of 300lb bodyweight currently).

Not currently training. This was a big part of my decision to go with carnivore. Just to clarify, I'm not part of the keto brigade and I don't think carbs are bad. I've listened to your podcast with Mark and watched your videos on the starting strength channel, I understand each macro has an important role to play. If I was training I'd definitely be sure to get my carbs in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
    Yes that's true, I should have been more specific. It is definitely missing the Vit C and fibre, but it is pretty densely packed with many other good things. The likes of Stan Efferding and Mark Bell go into great depth about it.

Not trolling, 100% serious.

Would be ideal but very difficult for me to remain consistent. Last week for example I was working up to 15hrs a day. It's not always like that, but it's up and down, hours vary a lot and it makes it hard for me to build the habit. By combining fasting with my diet, be it carnivore or something else, life doesn't seem to get in the way, it's relatively "easy" to remain consistent.

Agreed. However any change I implement would result in more calories or less protein. Aside from having a routine in place already, I would like to see this out a little longer for experimental reasons. I get dexa scans done periodically and would like to see what effects high protein has while in a calorie deficit over time.

I can see I'm getting some pretty strong reactions here. Just to clarify, I'm not intentionally trying to upset anyone! I actually searched the forum on the topic before putting the thread up and noted a post by yourself Robert as saying the carnivore diet was good for a fat sedentary individual looking to lose weight. Didn't seem to be said in jest at the time. Appologies if I've misinterpreted that.

Thanks again guys.
    In each meat you want two fists of cruciferous veg and two palm size portions of meat in my experience. Robert is the expert so he might correct me but I've found that works for me. Cutting carbs totally isn't particularly sustainable from what I've seen either.

Protein is around 300g. Based on 1g per lb bodyweight (I'm just shy of 300lb bodyweight currently).

Not currently training. This was a big part of my decision to go with carnivore. Just to clarify, I'm not part of the keto brigade and I don't think carbs are bad. I've listened to your podcast with Mark and watched your videos on the starting strength channel, I understand each macro has an important role to play. If I was training I'd definitely be sure to get my carbs in.
    Your 300 lb of bodyweight is not 100% muscle mass. You still don't need that much protein and if you weren't getting constipated I'd say this diet may be fine because you are performing activities that you are accustomed to and are "light" for you since you've done them as a function of your career. In other words nothing is getting heavier and harder over time. If you started training this approach would not work but since you are constipated I am unsure that it is even working now.

Your 300 lb of bodyweight is not 100% muscle mass. You still don't need that much protein and if you weren't getting constipated I'd say this diet may be fine because you are performing activities that you are accustomed to and are "light" for you since you've done them as a function of your career. In other words nothing is getting heavier and harder over time. If you started training this approach would not work but since you are constipated I am unsure that it is even working now.
    When calculating my protein intake I used bodyweight knowing that it would give me a decent amount of "excess" protein which was by design.

I've determined that it is working for me, bodyweight is progressively coming down. Admittedly I haven't documented it over time but I got down to my lowest ever weight recently and I need to put a new hole in my belt because my pants are starting to fall down. You can probably tell I'm a big fan of the scientific method. I will try to get another dexa done in the near future to ascertain how much was fat vs muscle mass.

Calorie restriction does that regardless of the composition of the diet. You likely won't lose the muscle that you started with because protein is high. That said as you lose more weight you will eventually lose more muscle unless you train, which will require a different diet composition.

I stick mainly to beef for the micro nutrient profile.

I had actually tried psillium husk for this but couldn't find a way of incorporating it that was sustainable (that I enjoyed). I do enjoy pickled vegetables, I used to regularly make a big batch at a time that was largely cabbage, I may whip up another batch and try that.

The stool softeners have made me 80% better in the first few days, so there's a little less urgency for now.

Thanks for all the replies, fellas.
    You could try an osmotic laxative as an alternative to the stool softener. (Miralax is one.) Same idea, different mechanism I think, I have no idea what the difference, I just suggest it as an alternative.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the heads up, Tom. The stool softener I was using was a bit hit and miss. Just got myself an osmotic laxative to give it a try. I did some reading after you posted and it seems like osmotic laxatives set the standard for constipation relief.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123