starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Constipation on carnivore diet

Default Constipation on carnivore diet

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all, been doing carnivore for a few months now. What was initially a bit of a chore is now actually quite enjoyable, I’ve found the right combination of foods that I like. Steak is basically an everyday thing and the rest of my meal varies between more beef, be it ground beef or some sort of stew, some pork , chicken and I normally round the day out with a protein shake, made with milk. All meats are salted to taste to help with hydration.

Now for the part where I share too much information. Issue I’m having, unlike almost everybody else, is it’s making me constipated. Bowel movements reduced to every 3rd day on average, which I’m fine with and seems to be relatively normal after doing the diet for some time. But these are quite strained and at the point of causing hemorrhoids which are painful enough to impact my sleep significantly, as well as generally day to day. The Pain normally lasts 12 to 24 hours, but can drag on for a couple of days in some instances.

I’m 32, male, 6’5”, 133kg(295lb). Work in construction, but not training at all. Don’t know where I land in terms of being ‘sedentary’ or not. Doing the diet to keep overall calories down, but protein high. I otherwise feel fine without carbs.

I also fast for 21ish hours most days, not sure if this is contributing to my issues. I started fasting a few years back for general weight loss (was approximately 100lb heavier than I am now), but do it now just out of convenience. I prepare a lot of my food on a Sunday and don’t need to be concerned about packing food for work or having access to amenities to heat it, don’t have to find time to eat, don’t get hunger cravings through the day or crash after eating a big meal at lunch. I actually find it makes life in general a lot easier for me and would like to continue if it’s not the culprit here.

I had tried increasing fats slightly as per advice I’d read elsewhere. I have tried taking HCL pepsin as well to aid in breaking down the protein. Tried forcing myself to drink more water during the day. None of these seem to have had significant effect. Just started taking stool softeners today, but feel like it's a bandaid and would like to fix the issue rather than relying on a bottle of pills (if they work at all).

Now, I would like to continue the diet as I’ve had good results with it (this is subjective obviously) and find it easier to implement and stick to than other diets I’ve tried. What would be my best path forward based on that? Should I take more HCL pepsin, or increase fats more until I start to see negative effects? Or is there something else I’m missing entirely?

Thanks in advance.
    Ben.

None of this is productive for getting stronger or for your gut. I'm not sure what your question is?

My suggestion is to modify this fad diet to something that does not give you poor BMs. Being a super large meat fan myself, I've not done this way of eating for exactly the reason you list AND that is highly deficient in tons of micro nutrients. Setting that 2nd part aside for the moment, and keeping in mind this is working for you, we I eat a lot of meat I also eat nearly equal portions of cabbage and brewer's yeast for the fiber without the calories. We are not carnivores and don't have the short GI tract that makes it work so you are going to need to get something in there to assist in proper function without resorting to supplements (tried it, didn't work).

Quote Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
    Hi all, been doing carnivore for a few months now. What was initially a bit of a chore is now actually quite enjoyable, I’ve found the right combination of foods that I like. Steak is basically an everyday thing and the rest of my meal varies between more beef, be it ground beef or some sort of stew, some pork , chicken and I normally round the day out with a protein shake, made with milk. All meats are salted to taste to help with hydration.

Now for the part where I share too much information. Issue I’m having, unlike almost everybody else, is it’s making me constipated. Bowel movements reduced to every 3rd day on average, which I’m fine with and seems to be relatively normal after doing the diet for some time. But these are quite strained and at the point of causing hemorrhoids which are painful enough to impact my sleep significantly, as well as generally day to day. The Pain normally lasts 12 to 24 hours, but can drag on for a couple of days in some instances.

I’m 32, male, 6’5”, 133kg(295lb). Work in construction, but not training at all. Don’t know where I land in terms of being ‘sedentary’ or not. Doing the diet to keep overall calories down, but protein high. I otherwise feel fine without carbs.

I also fast for 21ish hours most days, not sure if this is contributing to my issues. I started fasting a few years back for general weight loss (was approximately 100lb heavier than I am now), but do it now just out of convenience. I prepare a lot of my food on a Sunday and don’t need to be concerned about packing food for work or having access to amenities to heat it, don’t have to find time to eat, don’t get hunger cravings through the day or crash after eating a big meal at lunch. I actually find it makes life in general a lot easier for me and would like to continue if it’s not the culprit here.

I had tried increasing fats slightly as per advice I’d read elsewhere. I have tried taking HCL pepsin as well to aid in breaking down the protein. Tried forcing myself to drink more water during the day. None of these seem to have had significant effect. Just started taking stool softeners today, but feel like it's a bandaid and would like to fix the issue rather than relying on a bottle of pills (if they work at all).

Now, I would like to continue the diet as I’ve had good results with it (this is subjective obviously) and find it easier to implement and stick to than other diets I’ve tried. What would be my best path forward based on that? Should I take more HCL pepsin, or increase fats more until I start to see negative effects? Or is there something else I’m missing entirely?

Thanks in advance.
    Ben.
    Coffee and a cigarette will send that out like a flock of sparrows

How do I get not-constipated while on carnivore?

By not doing carnivore

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    By not doing carnivore
    feeling like this is a troll

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    My suggestion is to modify this fad diet to something that does not give you poor BMs. Being a super large meat fan myself, I've not done this way of eating for exactly the reason you list AND that is highly deficient in tons of micro nutrients. Setting that 2nd part aside for the moment, and keeping in mind this is working for you, we I eat a lot of meat I also eat nearly equal portions of cabbage and brewer's yeast for the fiber without the calories. We are not carnivores and don't have the short GI tract that makes it work so you are going to need to get something in there to assist in proper function without resorting to supplements (tried it, didn't work).
    I stick mainly to beef for the micro nutrient profile.

I had actually tried psillium husk for this but couldn't find a way of incorporating it that was sustainable (that I enjoyed). I do enjoy pickled vegetables, I used to regularly make a big batch at a time that was largely cabbage, I may whip up another batch and try that.

The stool softeners have made me 80% better in the first few days, so there's a little less urgency for now.

Thanks for all the replies, fellas.

Why are you doing this

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
    I stick mainly to beef for the micro nutrient profile.

I had actually tried psillium husk for this but couldn't find a way of incorporating it that was sustainable (that I enjoyed). I do enjoy pickled vegetables, I used to regularly make a big batch at a time that was largely cabbage, I may whip up another batch and try that.

The stool softeners have made me 80% better in the first few days, so there's a little less urgency for now.

Thanks for all the replies, fellas.
    Dude, even if coronavirus disappears tomorrow, please continue to social distance. If you are only eating beef and cabbage, it could be fatal to ride in an elevator with you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast