starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post COVID Loss of Taste & Smell

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    That is hell Nockian. What is wrong with your nose?
    Polyps. I’m trying to keep them under control using steroid drops, but they are having limited success. It’s leading to chronic severe sinusitis which I trained through for several months last year. They can be surgically removed-it’s not permanent though-but the operation prevents any form of heavy lifting for a couple of months, so I decided to work with the drops. Now this Covid thing has descended the entire health service has become the Covid service, so it might be years until I get an op.

You’re right Robert, it’s hell. Not having a sense of smell can be a might depressing if you dwell on it too much. There is a good chance it becomes permanent.

Shit. You may have to detrain a bit to get your sense of smell back. Just get strong enough before they allow elective surgery again and then bite the bullet so you can get a few years of smell back rather than calling it quits before it forces you to.

Shit. You may have to detrain a bit to get your sense of smell back. Just get strong enough before they allow elective surgery again and then bite the bullet so you can get a few years of smell back rather than calling it quits before it forces you to.
    That’s the intention. It’s on the limit now anyway. I have recurrent and chronic sinusitis, Post nasal drip and a cough. It fucks up my sleep and can make training tough if it’s a bad bout. Last year I would spend half an hour coughing up muck after the first set of warm ups. It made me so exhausted that I could easily have quit.

Just wanted to update this:

I finally got my taste and smell 100% recovered about 5-6 weeks ago.

I started eating a Monster Mash recipe that was easy to digest and offered a lot of carbs and protein. The following is good for about 3-4 servings for me:

2 pounds ground bison
    1.5 cups rice
    1 large Yukon gold potato
    3 fistfuls of Baby Kale
    Drown it in chicken stock

Brown the bison, steam the rice, and roast the potatoes and kale.

I know Stan Efferding uses peppers a lot in his meals, but they give me heartburn that is absolutely intolerable. Red are the worst, but any bell pepper just screws me up.

Is there anything else I can add to this to substitute for the peppers and yield similar benefits?

Glad to hear it. Do you like mushrooms?

Glad to hear it. Do you like mushrooms?
    I do! My wife introduced me to hen-of-the-wood mushrooms, which are fantastic. We’ll also eat shiitake quite often as well, but they’re pricey. Is there a specific type of mushroom you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    I know Stan Efferding uses peppers a lot in his meals, but they give me heartburn that is absolutely intolerable. Red are the worst, but any bell pepper just screws me up.
    My wife has similar issues with bell peppers. For her, it's the skin that's the problem, so if she peels them first she's fine. Maybe that's too much trouble for you, but perhaps it would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    I do! My wife introduced me to hen-of-the-wood mushrooms, which are fantastic. We’ll also eat shiitake quite often as well, but they’re pricey. Is there a specific type of mushroom you suggest.
    Shiitake is my go to if I want to spend the coin but regular mushrooms work for me.
    Last edited by Robert Santana; 03-28-2021 at 09:12 PM.

Shiitake is my go to if I want to spend the coin but regular mushrooms work for me.
    Thank you! I'll add them to the monster mash.

starting strength coach development program
    Brussel Sprouts are fun too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast