starting strength gym

Thread: How do I know if I'm eating enough?

Default How do I know if I'm eating enough?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    48yo female, 147BW, 23-30% BF (visual estimate),
    3rd week NLP, Press 65, Squat 75, Deadlift 125.
    I've been tracking food for 2 weeks. I average 1550 calories per day, more on training days, less on non-training days. I'm sometimes tired (need a nap) after lifting so I eat more. I'm getting about 130g protien daily and about 125g carbs, the rest is fat. I eat mostly paelo, with rice, whey, and some dairy. As the weight is still light, I don't think it's effecting me, but I suspect I need more overall calories (though I certainly have fat to burn) and maybe protien.

My question is how much more protien and calories can I/should I add? How will I know it's enough without going over? Or more still, how will I know if it's not enough?

TIA

Height?

Typically if you are missing lifts that is a good indicator that you are not getting enough protein and/or carbohydrates. The bigger question is: Is the priority losing fat or getting more weight on the bar?

Sorry I am 62.5 inches tall with 31.5 waist.

I want, need even, to get stronger. I've set strenght goals of OHP:100, S:150, and DL:250. I'd rather not get fatter. I've lost 3lb since SS so I know I'm not eating enough, but don't know how much is enough articles suggest different amounts, nor how to get that much in a day when as it is I only feel hungry in the morning after a training day and sometimes immediatly after training. The rest of the time, I feel a bit force fed.

You probably need to aim for closer to 200 g/d carbohydrate. Watch how quickly that works.

Thanks for the responses, Robert. Pretty much exactly what you said in your articles. Maybe I'm not a special snowflake afterall. .

To be clear, I'll add about 75g of carbs which will bring carbs to about 200g, fat and protien stay the same at about 60 and 130, respectivly. Total calories go to about 1850? Add more carbs if it starts to grind, cut fat if my waist gets fatter?

I'll snack on fruits and veg throughout the day and add rice to every meal. This isn't at all complicated. I apologize for trying to make it so.

Nope definitely not a special snowflake. Eat that amount yes and do it for 3-5 days and come back on here and tell us about how your workouts feel with that. No need for apologies you are taking the time to figure things out.

As a reminder I’m 48F 5’2.5”, 150lb, waist 31.5, 25-30@BF (visually estimated) S:100, P:60, B:75, D:152 (+25 in a week!); 3 weeks of NLP complete as of today (i overestimated in first post).

Based on your suggestions, I’ve averaged about 1950 calories at 30%, 40%, 30% (P,C,F) over the last week. This was a HUGE mental challenge. I’ve not eaten more than 100g carbs per day since being diagnosed with celiac disease, autoimmune hypothyroidism, and several other autoimmune diseases about 15 years ago. Though, clearly that wasn’t working as I’m fluffy and weak...

Carbs are comprised of vegetables, fruit, rice (which I added for SS), and dairy; I do not eat sugar or processed foods (except rice, protein powder, dairy). I set alarms to eat and I am almost always full, but my lifts are a lot more fun after doubling my carb intake. Today, I deadlift 151 for 2 sets of 5, which is greater than my previous 1RM from 7 years of CrossFit, a true PR! Body weight is back to 150 (it was down to 147 when I originally posted), but waist is still about 31.5. I generally appear less puffy, but it’s not enough to overcome the margin of error on the tape.

In summary, eating more carbs has improved my function, recovery, and general satisfaction immensely and probably isn’t making me fatter, at least not yet. Thank you!

I am however, still exhausted after lifting. I usually go to bed early on training days or take a nap if I train early. Does this mean I need more food, or is it just my older body needs more time to adjust to new routine? I sleep 8-9hrs per day and have a desk job.

Funny how that works isn't it? Glad you saw the light. Autoimmune diseases make it difficult but not impossible. You'll get into a good rhythm in good time. Unfortunately, age does slow recovery so there's that. If you get stuck again, try upping the food again and see if that helps.

Thank you Robert!!!

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome.