starting strength gym

Thread: Macros check please

Default Macros check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As I've settled on my nutrition app to aid in my diet, I'd like to ask if the macro target I've set is good.

I'm 59yo going on 60, 5ft 10in, 230lb, probably 30% fat content.

The macro target I've set for myself is, derived roughly from both the blue and barbell prescription books:
    Calories - 2600
    Protein - 230gm
    Carbs - 200gm
    Fat - 100gm

I don't mind maintaining the weight I'm at so long as I can convert the fat to muscle mass, if possible. Please let me know if this will be a good target or if I'm way off-base. Thanks.

Steve

I don't recall seeing anything about 200 g carbohydrate in the Blue Book. You cannot convert fat into muscle mass but you can lose fat and gain muscle the more novice that you are. So ramp to 300 grams and drop your fat to 85 grams.

Thank you Robert. You might be right about the carb count in the blue book. The numbers above were from the example on page 159 in the Barbell Prescription, under the "Caloric Requirements for Masters". I simply chose what I felt was closest to where I fit to use as a baseline, but I can increase it to 300gm carb no problem if needed. I usually find myself going high on carbs anyway so shouldn't be difficult.

I like to start at 300 g and adjust up or down from there. 250 g if you are a legitimate old timer that recovers like hell no matter how much you eat. This is all clinical judgement on my part after working with thousands of people on this but you get the idea.