starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice - Nutrition

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard_Mark View Post
    Hi, I'm 43 years old, 6'4" ish and I fluctuate between 220-230.

I'm new to both the gym and SS. I've never been heavy, didn't break 200 till my early 20's 210 in my early 30s.

I have listened to the podcasts Mark did with Robert, and based on what he said I figure I need to be eating about 250g of protein a day. But how much carbs and fat do I need, and what should my daily calories look like?

I use the my fitness tracker app, and currently have my goals set at 250g of protein, 250g of carbs, and 200g of fat for 3800 total calories. Is this enough? Too much? Too little?
    As another relatively new person to ss the podcasts etc are how I found ss. I can't recommend the book highly enough though as the podcasts are not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Robert, I'm curious... How do you practically eat 400g carbs? Extra potatoes / rice / bread? I cannot imagine being able to eat that amount of carbs in veggies, or even fruit. Just thinking about the fiber alone makes my stomach hurt.
    Lots of rice, instant mashed potatoes (or real ones), corn and easy to put down foods like that. Milk helps too if you can tolerate it. Cereal if you are really desperate and of course pasta is the easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by KShedd View Post
    Bread and potatoes aren’t the only source of high carbs.

Two cups of oats and two bananas is 150 carbs.

Fill in with other high carb veggies like:
    Squash
    Sweet Potatoes
    Tomatoes
    Corn
    Peas

Along with normal consumption of bread and taters, you should be able to get there easily without the beached whale feeling.
    Precisely

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard_Mark View Post
    Another question. Obviously it's important to meet or exceed my protein and carb goals, but is my fat goal a ceiling, a target, or does it not matter?
    The upper limit is the is the point at which you get too fat. You'll figure it out as you go along. 100 grams is a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Longnecker View Post
    Robert,
    Do you ever suggest folks with busy schedules add in maltodextrin or waxy maize to help hit those carb goals?
    No. It doesn't provide very much in the way of micronutrients. I do like dextrose intraworkout though.

Robert has provided some of the best information in the nutrition positional papers her in the boards.

We’re all still waiting for Robert’s nutritional linear progression paper (book?&#129310, but the forum here provides a good place for learning to eat for strength.

If you haven’t seen the podcast, search for “nutritional linear progression” on the sections part of the website. Rip and Robert talk in depth on how to program your eating.It’s from fall 2019 if memory serves.

Thanks, Robert!!!
    I have started adding 4-6 cups of rice a day to my intake and was curious about something faster.

You are welcome Mike. Glad you are enjoying the content KShedd. I am back to writing after having writer's block for most of last year.

Quote Originally Posted by KShedd View Post
    If you haven’t seen the podcast, search for “nutritional linear progression” on the sections part of the website. Rip and Robert talk in depth on how to program your eating.It’s from fall 2019 if memory serves.
    This should be the video with Coach Rippetoe and Santana that KShedd mentioned:

The Nutrition Linear Progression with Robert Santana | Starting Strength Radio #30

And here is another of his presentations:

Protein, Muscle Protein Synthesis, and Strength Training | Robert Santana

Coach Santana has a lot of great stuff on the site--I got a lot of help from his deadlift material.

If anyone gets anything from me I hope it is from my deadlift material. We have an epidemic of deadlift bailers that need to be dealt with.

Thanks again robert. I've found that refrigerator oats, go a long way to helping me reach my carb goals. Well, that and a pack of mini donuts.

Excellent choice. Instant rice is my go to

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    If anyone gets anything from me I hope it is from my deadlift material. We have an epidemic of deadlift bailers that need to be dealt with.
    I'm stubborn about carbs because I'm on the border of needing to go up a pant size, but backing off my squat because of Robert's articles on artificially low deadlifts was the best thing I did to restart my motivation and linear progression.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast